Friday, July 17, 2009

The Things Our Parents Tell Us

I was listening to the radio the other morning and they were discussing adults who wouldn't do something because their parents told them not to do it. Correlating with it is advice your parents gave you or statements they made that you will never forget.

Some of mine are:
  • Whenever I use a credit card, I hear my dad in the back of my head saying not to use a credit card unless it's an emergency or you can pay it off immediately. Not a bad thing to remember. But I still feel weird using a credit card, no matter what occasion.
  • Mom - never leave the house without lipstick. I hear this in my head all the time. Do I obey it? To her dismay, no.
  • Dad - "If a boy tries to take advantage of you physically, grab his thumbs." I don't know why I remember this one. Grabbing his thumbs would be the least of his problems.

What are some things that your parents told you that you can't get out of your head? Or is there something that you still won't do because your parents wouldn't approve or think it's a good idea?

9 comments:

Noah Burford said...

My dad told me: "The pain of discipline weighs ounces, but the pain of regret weighs tons"
My mom: "Keep your elbows off the table at dinner".. I always think about that while my elbows are on the table at dinner.. haha
Both my parents told me: "Style precedes content.. it is not what you say but how you say it"

Beck said...

I'm fat because my parents made me clean my plate. "You can't leave the table till you make a happy face!" (said "happy face" was a clean plate)

When we were little and weren't doing something fast enough my dad would tell my brother and I, "Slow obedience is DIS-obedience and disobedience is Sin."

In college my dad would call me and ask three questions. If all three questions could be answered appropriately, he could hang up happy:
1. How was church? (the presupposition was that I would have gone to church)
2. Did you run today? (yes, was the right answer)
3. How are your grades?

Macon said...

Following a burp at the dinner table, my mom would admonish me, "Someday you're going to do that in front of your girlfriend," implying that this would be a greatly shaming event.

Little did she know I would marry a champion burper.

Lindsay said...

My parents made it a big deal to say please and thank you. Now I lecture my cousin's kids about it constantly.

Katy said...

Macon, my mother said the same thing to me about burping! She said, "someday you'll be on a date and you'll do that and you'll be so embarrassed!" Well, Mom, I haven't done it on a date! Maybe I should.

Mom said...

Burp to your hearts content, dear. If it makes you happy. :-)
BTW. Go see 100 days of Summer. Your Dad and I loved it. A great story.

Kate said...

This is probably more information than anyone ever wanted to know about my family but hey! Too bad.

As kids, if we were constipated my mother would come into the bathroom and have us sing the Mr. Roger's song... If you have to take your time for when you really have to do a thing, you have to take your time to do it right!

Guess what runs through my head now whenever I have to use the loo!

Lisa Hanneman said...

If these is something I liked, a shirt or pants or shoes, my mom always encouraged me to buy it in a few colors, many colors if it's on sale. Her theory was that you may never find a flattering sweater again, so stock up now.

This should explain my wardrobe of similar items in solid colors. I can't shake the habit.

Beck said...

Buns. It's September 17th. I'm ready to hear about something other than stuff our parents told us. I don't even care if it's a photo of you watching tv. Something.