Saturday, June 28, 2003

Planes, Trains & Automobiles


PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES
That is the Title of the last portion of my trip. I wish I had more time to write but we have an appointment to see Michelangelos David here in Florence. Yippee! I miss being surrounded by so much art. I just wished I remembered what I used to know. Such is life. When I last left you I was in Capri. We got to see the Grotta Azzura. It was more of a Disney Ride than anything. It is absolutely gorgeous and worth the money but swimming after hours is the best bet. I think I already told you this. Well, we hiked around Capri with our backpacks leaving puddles of sweat trailing us in case we lost our way. We saw so many gorgeous views that if I wasn't sweating so bad, I could actually see them. We hopped on a ferry to the beautiful city of Sorrento. We were only there for a couple of hours before we took a bus ride along the Amalfi Coast. It is so severely beautiful. It is a small winding road along a cliff side. I am glad I am not afraid of heights. We met a nice couple, James and Kristy, they suggested we should stay at this place they stayed in Amalfi. So, why not! Mistake number 1. After 2 hours of waiting for the people to pick us up, we finally got to the hostel location...so we thought. With our fat backpacks on, we got to hike up 378 steps straight up...literally. Buns of Steel has nothing on me!!! The sight was gorgeous until I saw where we were staying. It was literally a cave, a big hot cave!! No showers for us. Note to self, never stay at a place called Big Willies. I did get to sleep one foot away from a snoring Australian named Peter. Did I say sleep? No, I don’t think I slept whatsoever. Around 7 am we headed out of that hell hole straight to Pompeii. We joined a tour filled with British couples. I loved it! So much art, architecure and many cultures coming together. The highlight was a trip to the GS Supermercato. I felt right at home there. We went back to Rome and stayed with Sarah and Roberto. They make me laugh my head off. We were tempted to stay longer but we must keep moving. We saw everything in Rome. St. Peters will take your breath away. It-s a must see for everyone. I must go. We are in Florence, finally! After a train ride and a hike to find an open hotel, we are staying in a small sauna with a mosquito farm in the room. I miss air-conditioning. Pray that it cools off here before I melt away...literally. Thanks for putting up with the long emails! I love hearing from you and care about you all so much. Your prayers are precious and much needed. I am loving it here and can't believe it has actually happened. Praise the Lord (PTL)
p.s. Dad, the places I've stayed makes Tre Api (Aka Tre Crapi, look like the Grand Wailea in Hawaii)

No comments: