Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Florence & Venice


LAND OF THE MOSQUITOES
Alas I have left the mosquito infested city of Florence. To my dismay, we arrived in Milan after the wonderful city of Venice to read an article that mosquitos are worse here than anywhere and that it has been the hottest June in Italy since 1790. No kidding!! Boy can I pick the time to travel southern europe. We saw so many amazing things in Florence. Michelangelos David, Boticelli's Birth of Venice and Primavera at the Uffizi, the Dome designed by Brunelleschi, Ghiberti's Baptism doors, etc. I think we hit 3 museums and one Duomo all in a matter of 7 hours. That night we got to enjoy Florence. Such a fun and festive city at night. Street artists, great food and gelato line every street. I prayed for rest that night, a cool breeze to come into the room, and that all the mosquitos would be dead. God is good because He answered all of those. We had serious words before I went to bed...pleading for God's mercy from the heat!!
We took off for Venice and stayed at the most incredible hostel I have EVER seen. It was like a dorm and was the most efficient place. I think we were the only Americans there and all the girls in my room were from Germany. Their language has a barn yard sound...muck, muck, muck, muck (I really don't think that, that is just for you Guffman fans). We saw the many mosaics of the Byzantine Basilica of San Marco, listened to the battle of the bands in San Marco square (Andrea Botticelli, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables...Dad, you would be in paradise). We tried to ride a gondala but they charged and arm and a leg so we settled for the ghetto ride on boat #82. It is gorgeous at night. The end is kind of like seeing the back doors of Disney World...interesting. I also saw the Peggy Guggenheim Museum filled with her modern art collection...HEAVEN! I really tried to discuss it with trey but he just wasn't interested like me. I had to bite my tongue and hold discussions in my head...so sad.
When we were in line for the Basilica, we met a couple who worked at Kanakuk this summer. They just got engaged the night before on a Gondala...now that's what I call an engagement story! How fun is that! Enough boring stuff for you. I am doing great, loving it here, and have to remind myself..."I'm in Venice, or Milan, or Rome." So exciting! I miss you all and thanks for your many prayers. I can feel them all the way over here!
p.s. Beckles you'll enjoy the fact that one of the hostel owners in Amalfi reminded me of Puck from the Real world.

No comments: