Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Personal Care: Hunting for Women

So I'm on the hunt for a new bikini waxer. I went to the same person for 11 years. Sweet Lee who knows my life story and all of my friends has moved on. Talk about a tragic moment in my life! I thought Lee would always be around. I had plans of her waxing me before my wedding, seeing pictures of my kids, etc. She was a fixture in my life. She was there when I got my drivers license for the first time. She helped me through two years of cheerleading (can't mess around with short skirts and bloomers. High kicks and toe touches made sure I saw Lee at least once a month). I saw her on my visits home from College. She even wished me the best as I headed around the world. I could almost shed a tear!
Hunting for a new bikini waxer is no easy task. You try to get recommendations from other people but that doesn't always work. Then you have to actually go through the bikini waxing experience with this new person. It's so personal and vulnerable. You don't just trust anybody! And when it doesn't work, IT DOESN'T WORK! It's enough to make a grown man cry for his momma. It's a sort of trial and error if you will. It can be very similar to going to a new hair stylist except the pain ratio is much higher. But at least if it's a bad job, you don't have to wear a hat for the next six months.
Men have no idea what we go through! Seriously! Let's take the most sensitive part of our skin, throw some hot wax on it, rub a piece of cloth over it until it sticks like cement, and for kicks...RIP IT OFF! This sounds like some kind of torture if you ask me. That's why it's imperative that you find someone you trust, who's good at what they do and makes it as quick and painless as possible.
I have to admire Bikini Waxers. That is definitely not something I would want to do for a living. I mean, they have to pretend that it isn't in anyway awkward or weird. When you go to a new waxer for the first time you pretend that "hey this is normal, this is good. I've done this before. No it doesn't bother me that I'm exposed." Then you bring up insincere conversations of "where you from? How are the kids? No I'm not interested in new lotion that can keep me from breaking out but will break the bank."
Oh Lord I hope no boys read this. Wait, I take that back. If they do read it, they will be better men for it. I applaud any guy who made it through this ranting and raving.
I'm nearly ready to hit the beach. I just have to take care of this one little thing...

No comments: