Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Single..and Loving It!


I would say that I am a pretty happy single person. I'm not one to usually look at married couples and sigh with disappointment that I didn't have what they have. I typically look at myself as the "I'm single and loving it!" kind of gal. Others are envious of my energy and passion for life and adventure!(she says to herself). But this weekend was a gauntlet of happily married beautiful people (all whom I love and adore!).
There were about all of 4 single people at this recent wedding celebration. Me and my three beautiful friends wore the "I'm single" sashes with pride. But I have to admit that as we all danced on the dance floor I was dreading the all too inevitable "couples only dance." Sure enough "Let's Get it On" came through the speakers and yours truly did a quick about face to the singles table (exactly, why do single people have to all be put at one table as if we're the plague!? Probably because we don't fit in perfect segments of 6's or 8's. Really no big deal but just an observation). I couldn't help but to look on with hope and frustration at the same time.
But don't you think that I walked away empty handed! Oh no. There was some action! Alligators aren't the only predators on Kiawah Island. Two single men were on the prowl. One was laid claim to by a certain someone who will remain nameless, the other was one to be avoided. Unfortunately I was unable to avoid the "goodbye hug" at the end of the night. I had just met him so I'm not exactly sure why a "goodbye hug" was necessary. There was a hug, a slight pause and then I felt his nose dig into my neck as he took a big whiff. After what seemed like WAY TOO LONG he abruptly lifted his head and said, "you smell good." I muttered something about shampoo or lotion. I'm way too secure to be carried away by a statement like that. But hey, it's good to know that you smell good thank you very much.

Some fun events of the weekend that turned into one big dramatic saga:
1)Delayed flight
2)12 ft. alligator sighting
3)hearing the alligator was run over
4)Katy's purse was stolen while she strolled along the beach
5)Katy's bathing suit top broke (I'm not even going to mention the previous fear of the bikini not fitting, but I'm sure it was only due to it being well-worn) Thank you Carrie for letting me borrow an extra strap so I could strap myself in good and tight.
6)Katy cancelling her credit and debit cards
7)Katy finding her purse at the front desk and rejoicing with tears b/c she didn't have to figure out a way to get home without a picture ID
8)More delayed flights on the way home
9)Rachel and Katy unable to find eachother as they wander around Charleston
10)Luggage being lost and not returned until over 24 hours later
11)Finally being able to brush my teeth! Priceless.

No comments: