Friday, March 04, 2005

Gotta Be the Jeans


Yesterday was a little reminiscent of last year's trip to Victoria's Secret. I needed a new pair of jeans. I have two pairs of great Lucky jeans. I bought one pair in 2003 and the last pair in 2004. So I figured now that it's 2005, it's time for a new pair.
I had read on "Daily Candy" that there is a new place called "The Denim Lounge" on Rush. It's supposed to have a whole downstairs room of different kind of jeans...ones that are sure to fit any body type. Alleluia! So yesterday I skipped on down to The Denim Lounge to check out their variety of jeans. They had so many! One woman asked if she could help me. I said "Yes. I am looking for a new pair of jeans. I'm a little larger in the thigh and hip region (which some people are a fan of). Do you have any jeans that are more friendly in that area?" I mean, Katy got back. With a questionable face she sucked in air through her clinched teeth, "well, we used to have a large amount, but most of them sold out." Shucks. But I came to realize that they sold out of those because EVERYONE is made that way. They had so many left over "skinny" jeans because no one could fit into them! Blah blah blah blah blah....you know the drill.
So she began pulling out a few pairs that may or may not work for me. The skinny thing pulled out a great pair of jeans and said "these are the kind of jeans I'm wearing." Well that pretty much sealed the deal that I wasn't about to try them on because no way would my body fit in a jean that housed skinny thighed women. I don't want anything to do with those! I did decide to try on 5 pairs...each got more depressing as I struggled to get them over my thighs. Seriously though, it's a little sad that some of these "thigh friendly" jeans were tight around my calves. I think it's because I'm an "athletic" girl. I run and have calves that don't like to be squeezed into those fashionable knee high boots. I have to go for the stretchy fake leather boots that hug my calves oh so nicely. It's not like they are "fat" calves, they're extremely muscular with a horseshoe shape to them. Enough defending my calves that were hand crafted by God.
I left the store with shoulders rounded and slowly made my way to Bloomingdales where I had a meeting in 30 minutes. 10 pairs of jeans later I had found 2 that worked. Of course they are a good 4 inches too long in the leg. But who cares! I found 2 pair that looked semi-decent on me. So what if I had to spend an arm and a leg on them, I look good! I do however need to invest in undershirts that cover the "crack" area that likes to be revealed in today's more fashionable jeans.
When you find a good pair of jeans, you've got to jump on it. Some guys may be thinking this is an insane concept. But all the women out there know exactly what I'm talking about. Think of it like this guys...jeans are to women like an x-box game is to guys.
Hmmmmm....think on that one.

No comments: