Monday, October 27, 2008

Harvest Scent

Saturday I went with Alyson and JC to Ulta. It was their friends and family sale. 20 % off of everything you'd ever want when it comes to hair product, perfume, appliances, make up, nail polish, etc. We were in heaven! I'm wandering around the store with my big green puffy coat slung over my purse (yes, it was frigid and windy - slight tears rolling down my cheeks as I write this. Goodbye summer!) holding my shampoo and conditioner. I see rows of Yankee candles and have to go over there to smell them!

I'm a sucker for fall and Christmas smelling candles. Well, fall and Christmas smelling anything: Fireplaces, pumpkin chai tea, gingerbread, apple cider, evergreen trees...I'm practically drooling for the holidays (she says as she slings a handful of M&M's in her mouth thanks to a co-worker. How dare she bring in Halloween candy!). Stay on target, Katy! So I see the "harvest" candle in front of me. I go to pick up the candle and remove the lid so I can breathe deeply the scent of fall harvest. The lid won't pop off. So I lift it up towards me to get a better grip and next thing I know...SHATTERED! Fall Harvest shattered all over the floor of the Ulta! Horror! I wanted to run away, but instead I just let out a mournful and pitiful, "Shhiiiiiiuuuuuuuuuuut." And right then you think, "I knew better than to do that!" I actually had a flash of the candle dropping just before I picked it up. Do I have a sixth sense or was this a case of a self-fulfilled prophesy?

I put on my big girl pants and told a nice young woman what I had done. We took the death march over to the scene of the crime. She with her broom, me with my red face. I asked to pay for it and she said not to worry about it because it happens all the time. Thank God! The candle was $22. Eek!

Just another day in the life of being me. Clumsy, cookie-craving me.

1 comment:

Beck said...

Um, adorable, honest, holiday-lovin' You!

I'm telling Joe White that you cussed on your blog.

My latest trick for holiday scents & it's cheap: add cinnamon to your (decaf) coffee before you brew it. It smells lovely and won't stick around till May (like some candles).