Tuesday, October 21, 2008

You Have to Email Him!

Kelly and I had lunch together on Thursday. As we walked to the corner so she could catch a cab, we noticed a man look at us and then he smiled and said, "Hello." We did the courteous exchange and then continued on our way. Then out of the corner of my eye I see him cross the street, turn around and smile at us again. Huh. "Kelly, someone is totally checking us out. I'm not sure which one of us. It could be either or both. Probably both, I mean OBVIOUSLY!"

So we hug goodbye and I wait for the light to change so I can cross the street and walk back to my office. But wait, the man appeared again on the opposite corner. So I walked by, turned and he said, "How you doin'." I smiled as I kept walking and murmured a quiet, "Fine, thanks!" Then I hear, "Wait, excuse me. Excuse me. I just...I want to give you my card. Will you take my card? You are just so beautiful. I had to come back around just to see you (slightly creepy, but flattering. They often go hand in hand.) Beautiful." "Oh, thanks. You're really kind." Notice, this is when I start getting flustered and turn into a 12 year old girl with braces. "What is your name? I'm _____. I would love to give you my card." Blah blah blah. I really don't remember what happened next other than saying "thank you" and making my way back to work.

All the girls at the office are mad at me because I won't email the guy. He's a sports writer for a Chicago newspaper. I know, he sounds ideal and they keep saying things like, "But what a fun story! You could tell people at your wedding rehearsal dinner how you met!" GEESH! Slow down! My word. I don't feel too comfortable emailing the guy. I know it could make for a very interesting story. I'm reminded once again of something wise and truthful my dear brother, Patrick, once spoke - "Single people are entertainment for married people." You ain't kiddin'!

I do want to give props to the man because he's much more courageous than most.

14 comments:

Beck said...

Oh man, I'm laughing! I would've turned into 12 year old w/ braces, also, Buns. It's just hard when someone is so forward!

And I'm remembering the scene from Bridget Jones where she's imagining them at their wedding with him saying, "and it all began with a joke about Bridget's skirt!" Love that your friends already brought up your rehearsal dinner!

Heidi said...

I understand where you are coming from, but I have to agree with your co-workers. Email is safe. You can see if he's witty, has good grammar, etc. And then decide if you want to meet in a public place for coffee or something. Do it! (and I say this not because I want entertainment, but just because you never know -- you might meet an interesting or good person even if he doesn't end up being your husband).

Jess Lindsay said...

Exactly! Find out if he has good grammar!! I want to know!! :)

Kate said...

EMAIL! EMAIL! EMAIL! Besides the fact that you can see if a writer for the Tribune has good grammar (always a plus, I must say), and the great rehearsal dinner stories, think about the subject matter you could have for your blog and future book!

Lindsay said...

Google him. If he seems ok, definitely e-mail him. Just meet somewhere public! Otherwise, how will you ever know?

Anonymous said...

i agree!! email him! if i was there you know i would make you do it. :) this man obviously knows a good thing when he sees it!

Anonymous said...

Email this guy! I agree with Heidi. Meet him in a public place and have a cab pick you up when you are done. If he is a punk I will fly up and stomp a Texas sized mudhole in his A$$ ;-)

Unknown said...

Katy, Katy, Katy....only you would have this happen to you. If the guy is such a catch, why is he approaching women on the street? I would definitely google him.

Anonymous said...

yes, I think we are all in agreement that you need to at least email him. Please!!

Stephen, Whitney, Olivia Jane, Marshall Wood, and Stephen Bauer said...

EMAIL HIM KATESTER!!! I want to hear more details and "go on your first date" with you through your blog updates!! Pleeeeeeeease?! Love it! :)

Katy said...

Wow! I still have readers even though I've been so completely terrible about updating.

Thank you for your encouragements to email the guy. But I have to be honest when I say that I really had no interest in reaching out to him. but who wouldn't want to share a story like this, huh? The only reason I'd do it is to entertain you, my readers. Not cutting it for me. Alas, single for at least another day.

Anonymous said...

Good for you Katy! I kept waiting for someone to ask, "what do YOU want to do about this guy?".

Obviously, he has good taste and great eye sight but ... I agree with you when you trust your own instinct in this kind of thing.

I just have a feeling, you will know it when the right guy comes along.

P2

The Mitchells said...

So...what did you decide?

Anonymous said...

Oh honey. You are so much prettier than your friend. I am sure he was looking at you-- nobody likes a tranny.