Monday, August 01, 2005

Middle Child

Great news has descended upon my family this past week. My little sister is having a baby! Such incredible news. She was shocked, as was her husband, that she could get pregnant after being off birth control for only two weeks. Note to self....
The fun news is that the baby is due 3 days after my birthday. My niece/nephew and I could actually share the same birthday. Lucky kid. I mean to be able to share a birthday with someone as great as me! And Liza Minelli.....oh dear.
But my best friend, Becky, just informed me that my 30th birthday could be overshadowed by this blessed event. If you know me, you know that I don't like having my birthday overshadowed! Picture this, just as my cake is being brought to me with 30 flaming candles, Erin's water breaks. Now, there is a very very sad pattern in my life of momentous occasions or moments of vulnerability that are disrupted by outside forces. Knowing me, this would totally happen. But I'm not going to let this happen! If Erin's water breaks, I'll not let anyone notice it. I will hold the court! "Katy, the baby is crowning!" "I don't care! As I was saying, I am blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful friends and fam..." (noise of baby crying). "What's that?" "Oh, it's nothing...yes, 30 wonderful years I've been on this earth..." It would be totally classic if the baby was born before or during my 30th birthday celebration. So I'm in a quandry of what to do. I LOVE big birthday bashes and I will have one by golly...even if I have to throw it myself. You think my future niece/nephew could have the courtesy to be born at a convenient time. It could be it's first present to me.
Yes, big news has surrounded my family this year. Older brother getting married, little sister having her first child...the first grandchild in the family, little brother switching highschools (big deal b/c we all graduated from the same school). So what is the middle child to do? I need to have a little action is this game. What can I possibly do to get some attention? Becky recommended posing for "Playboy." That would surely get me some attention in my family.
I am such the typical middle child. When did this happen?

No comments: