Thursday, June 08, 2006

Dallas Mav's

I want to give a shout out to my home team, The Dallas Mavericks! The fact that they are going to the NBA finals is unbelievable! It looks like Mark Cuban brought more to Dallas and the NBA than just his eccentricities. Kudos to you Mark! Your fanatical spirit caught on in a city that thought basketball had died.

Mavericks, you've come a long way since the days of Roy Tarpley. I wonder what ever happened to Roy Tarpley. I just looked him up and it says that he's now with the Michigan Mayhem in some Continental Basketball Association.

















Roy, you're remembered more for your drug habit than your basketball skills in Dallas.

I have to brag for a second. Well, it's not really bragging as much as it is name dropping. Rolando Blackman and Mark Aguirre (not McGuire) lived in my neighborhood. Once, Mark came over to my parents house and played a game of pick up basketball with Patrick and his friends. It's like so cool, I know. What? You don't remember Rolando Blackman and Mark Aguirre? They were drafted in 1980/81? Am I going to have to hunt down pictures so you'll remember them?








This tiny head is now the Assistant coach to the New York Knicks





















The Jordan of Dallas

Rolando is now the Assistant coach to the Mavericks. It looks like his dreams are coming true. Miracles do happen. We need to be patient enough to seem them and remember that our timing is not always God's timing. Also, our definition of success isn't always God's either. Thank you Rolando for helping us learn that lesson.

I feel waves of jealousy that my family gets to see the game tonight. It hurts! But I'm happy for them. Go Mavs! Some day I hope to meet these guys!

2 comments:

Kellsey said...

Wow, I even remember which house Rolando built. It looked like a great house. It's been a long time since then, but I have to admit that I have wondered from time to time if he still lived there.

Thanks for updating me on his whereabouts.

GO Mavericks!

CrazyJohn said...

I remember Mark Aguirre. He played for the Pistons. On one of their multiple NBA Championship teams. You know? The Detroit Pistons? Who would be beating the Mavericks if the Heat hadn't cheated?
Whatever... I'll root for the Mavericks. Damn you Heat!