Friday, January 26, 2007

Anatomy of a Tear

Much to my dismay I found myself crying hard during last night's episode of Grey's Anatomy. I could feel my roommates turning their heads to look at me and make sure that I was okay. Dad, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Kathryn, why are you surprised that you're crying? You cry at everything. Remember that time you saw a dog get hit in the street and you claim you heard it screaming?" Yes dad, I remember. I still cry when I think about it. And I can still hear the screams! I also remember my good friend, Dr. Mark Green, who worked at County Hospital, who once had to treat his dad who was dying of lung cancer. I look like I had been punched in the face after hearing that story. There's also the time that a friend of mine took in five kids with disabilities and then these really generous people, who love Sears ,offered to help build a new house for them. The tears could not be held back. Oh and who can forget my friend who was dying of cancer and his wife was pregnant so he made videos to help teach his kid lessons about life and then he was too weak to shave so his dad, who didn't understand him so they drifted apart, took pity and shaved his face oh so tenderly.

BAWLING! SOBBING!

All that to say that I cried last night. Remember when those two girls left their Amish villages and were never to return? These best friends were going to stick by each other "from cradle to grave." Then one of them has terminal cancer and has known for a while but didn't tell the other one. So she called her Amish parents, from whom she had been estranged, and they show up. The shunned girl was mad. Thankfully she had Izzy there to help her realize that her friend needs her parents and she needs to "let go." The parting of friends about put me over the edge and I almost drowned in my sorrows.

If I were to have to be shunned with anyone, Beckles it would be you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

MY LIFE! One of my favorite movies. I cried last night too. Well I teared up. I'm not dead inside! Just on life support.
Oh, the other references...ER, Home Makeover.
I love you!!!

The Lindsay's said...

I read the first sentence of your blog and all I could do was shake my head and think, "Oh, Katy, the producers of Greys has gotten you, too? Not Katy. What is this world coming to?"

Katy said...

They don't "have" me. Human interest stories "have" me!

Kellsey said...

Girl, I cried, too. I especially loved the part though where Derrick is having to explain to Meredith how you do conflict resolution. I can't tell you how many people I know who are exactly like meredith and have never had anybody stick around and work things out and so have never learned how to resolve anything. It's shocking how much this affects them and truly makes them unable to go deeply into relationship. Anyways, I cried when the Amish mom hugged the shunned girl. it was just too much for me.

Anonymous said...

Buns, I too cried over the friends. I tried to turn my head away from Russ but he leaned waaaaay into my face and said, "I figured you'd be crying."

I'd be the Amish girl with you too. And who are you kidding - we both know I'd be the one getting shunned.

Erin, two words: My Life. Katy was banished from the room for not merely weeping but WAILING during that movie. But that's why we love her.

The Mitchells said...

Just so you know...Joe tears up during Greys...I usually BAWL, but he does tear up. Oh, and I was told to stop watching ER bc it made my dad uncomfortable that I would sob during EVERY show.

Katy said...

I think I make everyone feel uncomfortable too. Numerous occasions I have been kicked out of a room for crying too hard. I can't help it that I connect emotionally with these stories!