Monday, July 07, 2008

4th of July

Good morning readers of Katy on the Loose! I hope you enjoyed celebrating our country's independence this past weekend. I did so by spending an entire day on a boat on Lake Michigan. It was the perfect way to celebrate July 4th...or so I thought.

I have been saying for a couple of years now how much I want to go on a boat on Lake Michigan. I see the sailboats from my bedroom window and it's a tease. So Alyson said her sister's friend had a boat and a few people would be going out on the 4th. Yes! My dream come true! We were excited, got there early and sat on the big and beautiful boat awaiting departure. Slowly but surely more and more people arrived and got on the boat. So many people got on the boat that we were pushed to the very front. I didn't mind, it was more comfortable and beautiful. Plus there wasn't much room in the back from all the coolers of adult libations.

With 30 people on the boat, and all but five of them strangers, we headed out on the big blue. Word spread that we were going to the "Play Pen" at Oak Street Beach. I kept repeating it to myself over and over again: "the Play Pen." Hey, this doesn't sound nice and relaxing. We pull into the area and there are already boats tied together with tens of people aboard dancing and hopping boats. Professional DJ's spun their music as fake-boobed women flaunted their medical procedures.

Our boat began to cruise the area, checking out other boats, seeing who it wanted to hook up next to. I felt like it was a Discovery Channel episode. I could almost hear the quiet male voice say, "And here, the male bird, flaunts his feathers attracting the attention of the female in hopes of mating." It was sickeningly hilarious. To their delight and our dismay, they found the perfect boat: DJ playing house music (sounded like techno to my untrained ear) and strippers - I mean ladies - dancing their hearts out. Someone wanted some action! As you can see, I was completely out of my element. I had no idea this world existed. Someone on the boat stated it perfectly, "it's like spring break for 35 year olds." It's not an attractive world. I tried hard not to be judgmental, but I couldn't help myself.

I left the day with a sunburn and some great memories. Oh, and check out the last picture. I'm totally getting a back tattoo for Christmas.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes; I probably would have reacted the same way: excitement at getting to be on a boat on the Lake for the 4th, and dismay at the icky displays of flesh, etc. Well, at least you came out of it w/ some sun and a story to tell!

William A. Orender said...

I think that you just wanted to say fake boobs and strippers in your blog...i know i know...that's just how you role. Oh and totally should get a back tat like that.

William A. Orender said...

Holy Frick I spelled roll wrong...its summer and it has been awhile since i've been to school so gimme room to b stoopid.

Anonymous said...

Let me be sure about this. Scantily clad women who look like strippers, lots of alcohol consumption, tattoos, mostly complete strangers, if you throw in a few old ladies with mustaches, you just described P2's family reunion over the weekend. ;-)

I wonder if we are related some how?

P2