Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Heatstroke 100




Sunday morning, I woke up at 4:45 am to head up to Wisconsin for the Heatstroke 100 with Alyson and Keenan. We did a 43 mile ride through the hills, farms and manure fields of southern Wisconsin. It was fun to be on the open roads and among other cycling enthusiasts (do I count as an "enthusiast" considering I have only done a couple of longer rides? I didn't think so). The whole ride took us a little over three hours. The first nine miles were the hardest. I rarely notice hills when I'm driving a car, but my eyes were opened on a bike. Hills are hard y'all. But remember this little nugget of wisdom, "what goes up, must come down." It was fun speeding down the road on the back side of the hills. Once I figured out my gears, we were flying.

I'm surprised that I'm not sore at all from the ride. My butt bones are a little bruised and raw. Thank God for whoever invented padded shorts. And for those of you concerned about my skin, I did indeed wear 30 spf.

Can't wait for our next ride!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ride sometimes, but I've never done hills--I probably wouldn't last very long! And yeah, biking is so weird...you're sore that same day, but your leg and butt muscles don't ever stay sore into the following day. And even the butt bruising stops once you get used to riding.

Anonymous said...

Cute hats. Cute girls. Beautiful day. Exercise. Fun. Sounds perfect to me.
Love,
mom