Thursday, July 31, 2008

Audition Blitz

Tuesday night was the second of my summer audition blitz. I was told to have a one minute contemporary monologue and to prepare a 5-10 line nursery rhyme told with movement. Not one of those auditions! It almost scared me away but I put on my big girl panties and decided to choreograph a little something. With the help of friends I decided on reciting "Little Miss Muffet." I reached back into those early childhood files and thought, "I like to eat, though not necessarily curds and whey. I also don't like spiders. They scare me. Perfect!"

I felt pretty calm going into the audition. I was well prepared and just wanted to have fun. I actually think the whole nursery rhyme idea gave me that perspective. I did my monologue, got a laugh or two, and then started the nursery rhyme. I gave the choreography some levels: started out standing, moved to the floor, crawled backwards and then the grand finale! I cartwheeled from the floor and flew out of it with a leap! I, a 32 year old, cartwheeled! I think it impressed them enough to invite me back the next day for callbacks. Yippee!

I had the same goal for callbacks: have fun, take risks and be bold. That formula must work because this morning I got an email inviting me to be in the cast! I'm very excited about it! I'll be sure to fill you in on the details soon. Basically this means I'll be rehearsing ALL. THE. TIME! Goodbye summer! But it's what I want to do, right? Yes it is. God give me strength! It would be one thing if I didn't already have a nine to fiver.

Needless to say, I'm excited!

8 comments:

wcgillian said...

Well good luck on that young lady.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! :D

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Katy! That is so exciting!

Jess Lindsay said...

remember cartwheels for future auditions. your gymnastics career has paid off! Congrats!!!!!

Anonymous said...

you are awesome! congrats! keep up with jobs. i am sharpening up on my "agent" skills! miss you! :)

Heidi said...

Wow, I'm pretty sure I stopped being able to do a real cartwheel when I was about 10, so you must have impressed them with that! This sounds so cool. I'm interested in hearing more about the show when you get more details!

Kate said...

Congrats, Katy! That is so exciting! I'm with Heids - tell us more when you know!

Yay for Katy!!!!!!

Carissa said...

Yipee! Congrats Katy!