Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Chicago Commute

Last night was a wintery wonderland. I heard from a few friends who had four and a half hour commutes home from work last night. Mine only took me an hour and fifteen minutes. That's about 25 minutes per mile. The commute may have been ugly but the view was spectacular.

Sunday night I hardly slept. The wind was howling and woke me up nearly every hour. I was ready to get up by the time my alarm went off and I had to head to my workout. It was seven degrees and I can't even begin to explain the wind chill factor when I turned the corner to walk to my car. I was at full tilt and barely moving against the wind. My door was frozen shut and after pulling with all my might I finally creaked it open. It almost slammed shut on me as I hopped in the car. I turned the car on to heat it up, grabbed my ice scrapper and prepared for the impossible. A sheet of ice had glued itself to my windshield. After five seconds of scraping, I realized it was useless. My face was burning from the wind and I quickly grabbed my things out of my car. The wind blew from behind and scooted me out to the sidewalk from the long alley. For the first time in my five years here I caught a cab to the gym. It really was scary windy outside. It was like those windy days when you wait by the bus stop and fear that the bus stop sign is going to be blown off the pole and decapitate you. Luckily I'm still alive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katesabuns ~ Come home quick where the weather is beaut...uh, foggy, chilly, damp, cloudy, wet, and generally much better but not as pretty as Chicago.
We miss you and want you here! NOW!
Love,
Mom and all of Texas