Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas 2008


Greetings one and all! I hope I find you all filled with enough joy, chocolate, and turkey to last you the rest of the year. Considering I haven't gone to "THE" bathroom (to be explained in a moment) in five days, you can say I'll survive until the New Year. I can just hear my mother saying with a gasp, "Katy! It always goes back to that doesn't it?" Mom, it's been a big part of my thought process the past 24 hours, so yes, yes it does.

Christmas in Texas was fantastic. The weather made me question why I ever left. I think I wore a coat twice. But that's not important - though it will be tomorrow when it's in the teens here in Chicago. What's important is that my family succumbed to the stomach flu. We were taken down one at a time, or in some cases, three at a time.

Archer was sick the weekend before Christmas, then Chris was down for the count on Tuesday. Erin escaped to the parent's house hoping to save her children. All was fine and dandy until after our annual trip to The Tuttle home for Christmas Eve dinner. We all ate like champs, caught up on each other's lives, and exchanged gifts. Before I hopped in the car for the 1/4 mile drive home, I began to feel a little...off. Yep, two hours later it was me and my toilet hugging it out. I'll spare you the details.

Weak and fragile I descended the stairs Christmas morning to the news that both my Mom and brother, Andrew, were also sick. We were quarantined and Patrick, Alicia, and Liam were told to stay away, very far far away. I don't think I saw my Mom until the afternoon. We pretended it wasn't Christmas and held off until the next day. I took about four naps in between watching a documentary of the Dallas Cowboys' Super Bowl seasons. (made me cry it was so good) Was it worth it to lose a couple of pounds of "holiday weight"? I can't believe I'm saying this, but no. Absolutely not worth it at all. I've been stock-piling ever since (hence my aforementioned problem).

Friday morning we woke up like every Christmas we've celebrated and gathered as a family to open presents. It felt just like Christmas should feel. Plus we had enough energy to open gifts.

I feel incredibly blessed to have been with my family and to share in the Christmas spirit...and other things.

I want to say thank you to my dad and Erin who were champion caretakers of us miserable three. Gingerale and Motrin - you were my best friends.

I wish you all a Happy New Year!

No comments: