Wednesday, April 29, 2009

H1N1

The Swine Flu is all over the news. I know we're supposed to call it by its technical name, so I did. I had to clarify that it was the "Swine Flu" otherwise no one would know what I was talking about.

I was iChatting with my mom last night when she informed me that my dad's dad (Grandpa from here on out) was not just the oldest of two kids. He was the oldest of six. I had no idea! I thought it was just him and my Uncle Pete (lots of funny stories involving the Happy Birthday song and alcohol). Mom said that Grandpa had three siblings die of the Swine Flu within one week of eachother during 1917 (or some year close to that date). WHAT? I can't imagine how hard it must have been for my great grandmother. It must have spread rapidly. Thank God for the media awareness we have today and great advancements in medicine.

Does anyone else feel a little weird when they say "Swine Flu"? I don't know what it is...

No comments: