Monday, November 21, 2005

Quick!Paddle!!


I'm in mourning. There's no way to describe how sad I am that my I.O. 5b performances are over. Quick!Paddle!! has come to its end (at least for me this week). Once again we had a great show this Sunday. Other classes mentioned after the show that our class "always puts up a solid performance." I've worked with the most talented, creative, supportive and encouraging people through the I.O. program. I feel a great loss. It's almost like high school graduation; knowing that you love these people but you'll never all be together again in the same capacity. If I had my way, our class would be chosen as a team and we'd continue performing our steadycam form together. The great part is that I think we all feel that way. Who knows!

I've added a picture of our group. We're missing a couple of people and you may notice a tall bearded man that looks like a cross between Jerry Garcia and Santa Claus. His name is Thax Douglas and he is a poet that opens for bands around Chicago. He has opened for us twice and it always brings an element of sophistication and weirdness. I love it. We are the first improv group he has ever opened up for in his life! He's never seen improv. I'm honored.

I'm also honored that my group asked me to intro the show seeing that it was my last time to perform with them and that my dad and aunt were in the audience. Let's just say that openings are not my forte. I stuttered and stumbled but somehow made it through! People were probably wondering how I could ever perform improv. You know they got that nervous cringe feeling while I was up there. Oh well. They got over it after our fine performance.

This time around, our suggestion was "greasy monkey." We began in a restaurant that turned out to be the Rainforest Cafe. We had simulated apes and guides popping out throughout the show. Hilarious. I played a small part that ended up being mostly a game. But I loved being able to be someone small but energetic at the same time. I think that only made sense to me and the other people who may have seen the show.

So I'm mourning a bit tonight.

5 comments:

modroom said...

Hi. I stumbled across your blog on the random thing. I've just got my first blog up of cartoontype silly stuff and am tryiing to find some viewers. I thought you might be into them having had a look at some of your blog. I'm new at the computer lark and fitted with the wrong brain for it, however in the last few months I've grasped some basics of Flash animation. Until I get animated I'm posting some inanity in the meantime. Are you sure that's the front of Thax Douglas?

Anonymous said...

KTO ... What wonderful seasons of life you are having! I have to say that I am a tad jealous! I wish I was doing what you are doing on the eve of my 30th! Doesn't CS Lewis say something about sadness being part of joy. I'm proud of you! Love watching what God is doing in you!

CrazyJohn said...

Congratulations on your IO graduation. You are amazingly talented (for a chick)(from Texas). Keep doing improv... and let me know if you start writing... I'd love to read your stuff and tell you how much better I am. Kisses!

Anonymous said...

Katy,

I found the 'Single HOT Sister' post to be very moving, and I too have had to ween myself off Sex and The City before bed.

What ever happened to the guy with the stuffed animal that used to hang out in front of Bar Louie?

Anonymous said...

I am so sad that I was only able to view this show on Mr. Bill's shaky camcorder version...however, I think your IO group stretched you. Y'alls performance was really hilarious, Kates. Tell the other group members, too. Seriously, you are growing as an actress and it shows...