Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Weddings, Bouquet Tosses and More



Sorry I have been away and absent from updating my life stories. I have been a professional wedding attendant recently. A couple of weeks ago I read at my older brothers wedding. It was an amazing weekend and Patrick and Alicia were so happy and in love. I saw people who I hadn't seen in 10 or more years. What fun surprises! And yes, I was also the hot sister thanks to my dazzling and expensive dress. It did the trick and was well worth the cash.
Then last week I was in Little Rock Arkansas for my friend Katherine's wedding. Once again, I saw people I had not seen in almost a decade. It's wild to see old friends married with their kids running around. The marrieds and the few of us singletons sat around talking. We all agreed that sometimes, many times, the grass appears greener on the other side. The singletons want nothing more than to be married and the marrieds are jealous of the freedom that the singletons have in their lives. I walked away from that weekend happy for my friends and content in my life. I think that's a huge blessing. I also got to spend much of the weekend with my friend, Hannah, who lives in Summit County, CO. She's a rockstar. She is a ski patrol by winter, river guide by summer and apparently treks India in the fall. She'll put any of us so-called athletes to shame. She's also an amazing singer and guitarist. A Renaissance woman...if you will.
After my tour of weddings completed, I got news of my best friends engagement! Lucky me was in on the surprise. Her fiance, Russell, allowed me to see the ring before mailing it to him in Texas. GORGEOUS! It was an honor to play a part in the whole thing. I would be so lucky to have a guy and...of course a ring like she has! So it looks like the tour of weddings will begin again in the spring. But I don't mind. Who doesn't like to celebrate? She better make sure I look hot in that bridesmaides dress. And please no throwing of the bouquet. Thank you Kat and Patrick and Alicia for opting out of that tradition left best to kids just out of college. I don't like being the only 29 year old on the floor with 13 year old cousins. Seriously, why do people insist on dragging you out there and making a show of you being in your late 20's and still single? NOT FUN nor FUNNY! Soap box over.
I had my two shows for IO and Level 4 at Second City Sunday. I have to say that I was really pleased with the Second City show. We had 20 minutes to plan right before the show taken from suggestions made in class. It was wild and intense coming up with an improv set that included 5 scenes and 4 blackouts. There were quite a few laughs and definitely some scenes that needed to be nixed. But it was a first time performance of the improv set and I was proud of my class.
My IO show continued in it's weirdness yet I still liked it. This time I played a twin with Kristen and we talked at the same time. It got old for me after a while. Oh well.
I do have such a talented IO class. I wish we could all stick together and perform as a team. Not only are they talented, but they are wonderful people. Nothing but love gushing after the shows. It's a nice change from what my Second City class can sometimes be like. But from what I hear, that's normal. Tension in a class of debutantes is nothing new.
Whew! That's quite the update. I think I may be the only one who read through the whole thing.

No comments: