Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanksgiving



THANKSGIVING WEEKEND
Not even waiting 4 hours in an aiport to catch a flight back home to Dallas could get me down! Who cares if I was turned away TWICE as a standbye for an earlier flight? Who cares if I was just single digits away to arriving in the promise land of Texas 3 hours earlier? I was going home!

On the airplane I sat next to a kind gentlemen who I gently had to inform that I was a good 6-7 years older than him. I could see the crush building in his eyes and I wanted to spare him the agony that Thanksgiving Day. I was greeted at the airport by none other than the newlyweds and Cade, the greatest dog EVER! After filling myself up on the much missed Chic Fil'A, I saw the newlywed apartment which looks more like a home. So welcoming and beautiful. I went home to see the folks and was visited by two of my best friends, Beckles (newly engaged) and Katherine (newly married). I'm seeing a trend here. Becky and I stayed up late laughing and mourning the fact that she's getting married....that just means less slumber parties. It's so good to have friends and family that I can't wait to see when I go home!

We carried on our 27 year tradition of running the YMCA Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. For the first time in 5 years I didn't run the 8 miler. I really had high hopes that I could just crank it out. I think Becky and I happily talked eachother out of it and ran the 3 miler. I realized something that day....I'm prideful. Yes, it's true. I felt humbled that I couldn't cut the 8 miler. Yes I still had on the blue 8 miler racing number but I just couldn't do it. I have a motivation for next year. How on earth could I possibly still be passing walkers at mile 2? Too many people holding hands and walking babies to run a safe race. Do not get me started on this topic!

Then we went home and ate and ate and ate and ate! It was so gorgeous in Texas that we ate outside. Then I watched football (poor Cowboys) followed by a nap that nearly knocked me out for hours. Nothing like a turkey coma. I'm still sick from the amount of food that was eaten that day.

All in all, it was a fabulous weekend and could not have been more restful.

LOVE BIRDS
I must be PMS'ing. I sat in the back seat of the newlyweds car on the way home from a movie Thursday night. I found myself rolling my eyes and holding back loud sighs at the mushiness I was witnessing before my very eyes. There was baby talk, brushing the hair away from the other persons face, and just plain ol' lovey doveyness that just about drove me crazy!

It's not them, it's me.

MAID OF HONOR
It's official! I'm Beckles Maid of Honor! And it is definitely an honor. Last night she through a party for her own 30th birthday. She brought party favors for the 6 of us who she invited to the party. They were little boxes covered in pictures of us with her over the years. We each opened up the box and in it was a note asking us to be part of her wedding. She went on to honor us by telling us why she chose us to stand by her on her wedding day.

It's amazing how our friendship has grown over the past 6 1/2 years. She brings out the best in people and I've definitely needed her as a friend. Sadly, her engagement signals the end of MASH games.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!
Today is the big 60!!! She doesn't even look it! I just want to tell her happy birthday and let her know how much I love her. She is exactly who I want to be when I grow up.

3 comments:

The Mitchells said...

It was great getting to hang out with you Kates!!

Can't wait to have you back in 4 weeks!!!!

CrazyJohn said...

Oh my gosh! MASH?! I'll tell you what, Katy... if you and Beckles are done with MASH, I would be honored to play. For some reason, I always end up in the Shack with 835,367 children. How does THAT work?

Anonymous said...

you need to tell crazyjohn about Nightmare Masher. and your husband "A.S", the door-to-door tampon salesman.