Friday, February 17, 2006

Snowboard Cross

I have a new favorite Olympic sport. I could hardly peel my eyes away from the television last night. Did anyone watch the Snowboard Cross? Was that not amazing?!!!! It reminds me of a Nintendo 64 game I used to play with my little brother back in the day. I remember he was snowboard racing my mom and I and because he was beating my mom she says, "You, you, you...." And Andrew responds, "BASTARD!" I could hardly stop from crying laughing. He was only seven years old at the time. Where did he learn that word?!

There are a few funny stories about Andrew and his language. He used to be really into popsicles when he was about four. My mom decided to get him a new treat, Push Ups. When she showed him the Push UP he spoke chipperly, "What in the hell is this?" Patiently mom responded, "Andrew, we don't say that. We say, 'What in the WORLD is this!'" Smartly he says, "What in the world hell is this?!" One of my favorites was when he was four, yet again. Patrick and I had friends from college in town. Andrew's new favorite movie at the time was Top Gun. He was showing off in front of our friends by quoting lines from the movie. All of a sudden we hear, "Shit! It's Viper!" He made a really great impression on our friends. They still remind me of that time.

I digress... I think I would like to compete in the Snowboard Cross. If I could compete in any Winter Olympic sports they would be: Figure Skating, Downhill, Moguls and now Snowboard Cross. Did anyone see the gold medal winner, Seth Wescott? Hello! New crush! He likes the outdoors, I like the outdoors. He likes to snowboard, I like to snowboard. He likes to get caught in avalanches, I like to watch t.v. specials about avalanches.

I nearly cried while watching another event last night - Figure Skating. Here's a little trivia about my past: I was a figure skater. Yes I was only eight years old but it still counts. I even won a second place ribbon in a competition. Granted I think there were only two of us competing in my age group, but it's still a special moment. Anywho. I watched the Olympics new comeback kid last night, Evan Lysacek (who happens to be from Naperville, IL). He skated the most powerful and beautiful program of anyone that night. Yeah, the Russian Gold Medalist with a mullet, Plushenko could jump better than anyone but his program was missing heart, artistry and emotion. But then again, he and his family made serious sacrifices to get him where he is today. I'm always a sucker for those stories. Good for him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed the cross, I saved my viewing pleasure for Sweden vs. Norway curling comp.(riveting t.v. moment only enjoyed in the middle of the night as a sort of sleeping aid.) I'll try to reschedule my time to catch the cross.
Miss you!
Richard

Kellsey said...

I saw Seth and Evan. Both were quite amazing!