Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Another Take

You all remember Robert, the one who was "sooooooo bored" and still dissed me and Jess? Well, we have definitely bonded since then. I'll stop and say hi as he takes in some fresh air on the stoop (all two steps of it). He shared stories about how he loves to make jumbalaya and how he wrote a book on his horrific and tragic Hurricane Katrina experience. I really felt like we were building a friendship.

Yesterday was nothing out of the ordinary. He was on the "stoop" and said hello to me and Jess. Jessie went to help a friend unload some things from her car. That left Robert and I a few moments alone. Again, it was nothing out of the ordinary. Robert got a little nervous and said, "I'd like to pay you a compliment." I got all excited and would welcome anyone paying me a compliment! He said, "Well, I won't tell you it now. (long pause with nervous laughter) I just chickened out!" "Robert! I don't bite!" He, a married man, then put it out there, "Well, I just wanted to tell you that you're GORGEOUS. I mean....you are....FINE!" (nervous laughter from all parties involved) Then with nervous rambling and scarcely a breath taken I say, "Gee, thanks Robert. Wow, that's so nice of you. I mean, I really needed to hear that because, you know, some random guy told me yesterday that I looked like a SOFTBALL player! I mean, can you believe that? Pshh! I know, it's all "innocent" and everything ("innocent" being said with physical quotation gesture). So thanks." (long awkward pause) "Alrighty then, I'm going to go see if I can help Jess."

I just can't take a compliment; especially one that's so emphatic and from a married man! But hey, it's MUCH better than "softball player!"

3 comments:

Kellsey said...

LOVE IT!

You are beautiful, katy, I've always thought so! And, I love your sporty physique. It's so much more lovely and sexier than the "power-walk all day and only eat broccoli" physique.
(at least in my book...but then, I am a married woman, so perhaps I should stop talking now).
----------------------------
And now for my comment on the married guy:

DUDE! He's married and telling you how FINE you are?! What the? And "FINE"? I haven't heard that since 8th grade! That is AWESOME. I love pulling out the old-school lingo from time to time. Makes me feel younger and better rested...

Like I said before, though: I should stop now. (before I start telling you how RAD I thought your post was).

CrazyJohn said...

1) Why does your page look so different? Different things confound and confuse me... and I think I just got lost on your blog somewhere... aimlessly wondering around your comment section;

2) I look like a professional eater. Like one of those hot dog eating guys. I would take softball player any day;

3) Jennie Finch is hot and playing professionally in Chicago. Maybe he saw her and that's actually what he meant;

4) Are you writing? Why not? Maybe if you spent less time worrying about what other people thought of your personal appearance and more time focusing your comedic energy towards writing a funny satire of the situation... then maybe we'd have more to talk about in your comment section;

5) I only had four things;

6) Number five doesn't count.

Paul Stokes said...

Married men know.