Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Resignation

Last week I signed up for an audition that took place Monday night. I didn't know what it was about or what it was for honestly, but I wanted to test out my new monlogue. I hadn't auditioned with a monlogue in a while. Most of my auditions recently have been purely improvised or cold readings of sketches. I felt pretty confident with my monologue though I knew it still needed some work. At least I had it memorized. That's a plus!

I arrived early for the audition. I can't help myself. I'm always early to everything. I've really tried to work on being late so I won't have to wait for everyone, but it's not working too well. Since I was early, I was the first person to sign in. When you're the first person to sign in, you go first. I wasn't really nervous because I saw this more as an opportunity to work on my auditioning skills and my monologue more than anything. I walked down a dark hallway listening to the echo of my heels on a wooden floor. The hall opened up to a small theater with a few rows of chairs and a black stage. I peeked my head around the corner and they asked me to come in. They weren't quite ready so I made some lame comment about how bare the stage looked compared to the last show I had seen. Witty banter ensued between me and the directors sitting in the audience section. I gave my monologue and felt okay about it. I need to work on a few transitions but for the most part it wasn't bad. I was just glad that it was OVER!

I knew that if I were cast I would have received an email pretty quickly after the audition considering the show is this coming Monday. By Tuesday night I hadn't heard anything and counted the audition experience as another step in the right direction. Well yesterday I received a call! I had been cast in "The Resignation" by Daniel Scurek (an original work) and should hear from someone soon. Me? Cast? I can't believe it! My first audition and BAM! Maybe I dazzled them with my smile and cute sweater set after all!

By the time I arrived home from work I had received the script by email. While waiting for it to download I wondered what amazing part I would get too play! Would it be a large cast? A small cast? Would I get to slap someone or kiss someone? What did this manuscript hold for me and my future?!!!! Delightedly I scrolled down to the second page where it stated the cast: So and So as William, So and So as Mary, and finally, Katy Orender as......the Waitress! THE WHAT? The Waitress. For the love! I was a little crestfallen until I read the description: "Pretty but awkward, 22 years of age." I'm pretty and youthful! And I LOVE playing awkward! I guess my 30 years did NOT show. Maybe I could play a teenager in a show about high schoolers who live in Beverly Hills. Andrea Zuckerman did it, why can't I?!

6 comments:

Macon said...

Congratulations!

I take it that nowhere in the description did they say anything about softball? That's good!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Katy! I know you'll be the best gosh-darn waitress anyone who sees the show has ever seen!
I'm so glad you went for the audition-that's fantastic.
Can't wait to see the show :-)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy and proud of you! Congrats.

Kellsey said...

That's so exciting!

sweetpea said...

wow!!!!!Congratulations!!!

Daniel A. Scurek said...

Katy~

This is not really a comment on the blog but an attempt to contact you - sorry for making it public! I'm Dan Scurek. You acted in one of my plays last summer for n.u.f.a.n. (that's probably obvious at this point since I'm replying to that specific blog). I just wanted to write to you because I never had any contact with any of the actors from that production and I regret it. The crappy day job I had at the time had me in indentured servitude. I'm really sorry you had the smallest role in the play but I'm at work on two other scripts that I'm interested in talking to you about. My email is: dan_scurek@yahoo.com. If you're interest. If not, no biggie!

All the best,

~D