Thursday, July 06, 2006

Reunited...and it feeeeels so goooood...

Last night we, Rebirth, had our first show together since we graduated from Second City at the end of March. Before we went on I realized that I had not improvised since January. Yikes! That's a great thought to have before you go on stage and perform a 25 minute improv set. The small theater was packed with other performers, many with whom I've performed before. It was a little nerve wracking. I mean, my pride was on the line. And let's face it, I've got some pride, and I don't like it to be crushed.

Considering we didn't even rehearse we had a GREAT show! It was fun to be back out there again creating characters and stories out of nothing. It's an adrenaline pumping good time. After a rough first scene (which I knew would happen), we had a killer show. My favorite scene was when I played a suicidal teenager who suddenly had hope after a conversation with James. We were both goth-like students. My character gave her dad a framed picture of a dead mouse for Father's Day and a note that said, "Hey dad, this symbolizes our relationship." It's fun playing darker characters. I kind of grossed myself out with that part of the story, but it's what was true for the character. Us girls also played myspace obsessed cheerleaders. That probably would hit a little closer to home than the goth girl. All in all, it was a great show and my pride wasn't crushed, only further inflated. Okay, I'm going to brag for a second so bear with me. Umm, a girl walked up to me after the show and said, "You were so funny that I nearly peed in my pants. Seriously, so funny!" Now who doesn't love a comment like that? I'll take those any day!

I want to say a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Ashley (technically it was yesterday). We went out and celebrated her birth last night. So glad she's alive and can be my friend!

No comments: