Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Pleasant Prairie Triathalon

I competed in my first sprint triathalon this Sunday and I finished! I didn't drown, crash or vomit. I call that a good day!

After a late night of conversation and board games with Stefan, our very famous cousin who happens to be a Blue Angel pilot in town for the air and water show, Janell, Jessie and I packed up the car and drove to Wisconsin. We kicked it off with a little City of Blinding Lights by U2 and weaved our way through the Chicago traffic!

The triathalon and the atmosphere associated with it left little to disappointment. Three of us sharing a king sized bed and long lines at the porta-potties were more hilarious than disappointing. I need to give a shout out to the LaQuinta. I've never stayed in such a lovely smoking room. It prepped my lungs for the long race.

I felt proud wearing the black numbers marked on my arms and legs. For a couple hours I was only known as #1039 by everyone but my roommates. I was in the 17th wave and we were issued the purple swim caps. We stood in line hugging our bodies and trying to stay warm. As soon as the whistle blew we ran for the warm water. I was relieved to have my numb fingers and toes warm up but it didn't do much for my goggles. The cold air and warm water caused them to fog up immediately. It was me in a foggy world swimming through green water and seaweed. The swim did nothing for my confidence. Within five strokes I was breathing hard and began to wonder why I didn't practice the swim more than twice...and why the heck didn't I do practice swims in the lake?!!! From then on it was me, God and the breast stroke. I was singing praises at the turn-around point until the sun beamed directly onto the water and caused near blindness ("God, is that you?"). The lifeguards caught me and several others swimming in the direction of oncoming traffic. The kept yelling at us, "left. LEFT!" I couldn't wait to take off the foggy goggles and the swim cap that blocked my hearing. I "fake" ran up the sandy hill after the swim like I wasn't out of breath or anything. Walking fast through the parking lot to my bike (I sure wasn't running) I heard my roommates cheering me on. All I could do was give a weak wave to let them know that the swim nearly killed me but I was still alive.

I couldn't wait to hop on the bike. The bike has quickly become my new favorite sport. You move fast, cover lots of territory and fewer body parts jiggle. I passed a few people from my wave who proved to be better swimmers than me. I finished the 13 mile bike in 43 minutes. It was over before I knew it. After a quick transition I was back out on the running path and waving to my two cheerleaders. It took two miles to get my running legs back but somehow I finished those miles faster than my standard 10 minute mile. I could have cried as I neared the finish-line, not because it was so tough but because I was so thankful that God gave me the legs, arms and health to challenge myself physically. I prayed for strength and He provided.

I finished in one hour and 38 minutes. I figured it would take me 1:45. If I can get my swimming under control and shave some minutes off my transition times I could probably get down to 1:30 or less. I can't wait for my next one! Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and phone calls! Melissa, next year it's you and me babe!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Katy

Macon said...

Awesome!

sweetpea said...

wow!! congrats...I'm very impressed.

Anonymous said...

Kates, you are a one-percenter! I'm tellin' ya, you are inspiring me! Next year you, me and Wendle should try it. Maybe by then I'll learn to swim.

Anonymous said...

SO wish we could have been there (Frank & Marie) to watch and encourage! Maybe next time...and there WILL be a next time, right???
We're very, very proud of you, Katy. Neither your Dad or I is surprised at all, but impressed all the same. We LOVE that you love doing things like this.
Love & admire you!
Mom