Monday, August 14, 2006

Tag...I'm It!

I hate being chased. I'm quick to scream, give up or I charge back at them in a dead sprint. I sometimes wonder what I would do if I were being chased by a Lion. Let's hope I never have to find out. Playing tag was always a nervous pleasure for me.

This kind of tag I actually like. Thanks to my good friend, Kellsey, I've been tagged to list books that have either impacted my life or ones I wish never would have entered it. I'm responding here for your viewing pleasure! You never know, maybe you'll be inspired to read some of these. I know I already gave an exhaustive list of some of my favorite books.

1. One Book that Changed My Life: "Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning. This is the first "spiritual" book that actually caused me to respond with prayer. I remember sitting in my bed with all the lights out except for a small lamp and being moved to pray. It's the first time I really got a glimpse of grace. I really could live a life of freedom under the umbrella of grace instead of an anvil of guilt.

2. One Book that You've Read More than Once: Just one? I can only choose one? "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. Hello, my name is Elizabeth Bennett! I think most women consider themselves an "Elizabeth Bennett." She's one of Austen's more flattering characters. Though you can condemn the fact that she's as prideful as Mr. Darcy. I remember running into my best friends' room and reading allowed my favorite parts. I had to share it with someone! The confession of love! The two proposals! The time they run into each other at his home! Ah, it's too much! Too much!

3. One Book You'd Want on a Desert Island: I'm just going to assume it can't be the Bible. Any good Christian would immediately say the Bible. It would be/and is my one source of truth and sanity. Can it be a series? How about the first two books in Francine Rivers' "Mark of the Lion" series? They're not exactly intellectually stimulating, but they just don't get old! I've never read two books so quickly. I wish I could read them as a "Mark of the Lion" virgin again! Ladies, can I get an Amen? Wait, now I'm questioning myself. How about "Lord of the Rings"? Yes, that too. I might need that to remind myself that the impossible can be possible.

4. One Book that Made You Laugh: "Dress Your Family in Corduroy & Denim" by David Sedaris. His honesty excited me and made me wish I could be that honest. I just don't have his capacity for memories...painful memories. I found myself laughing aloud in public while reading his auto-biographical short stories.

5. One Book that Made You Cry: I again have to say "Lord of the Rings." I wasn't ready to say goodbye to Frodo, Bilbo and their companions. I felt like I had traversed the treacherous terrain and walked their emotional journey along with them. There's great relief and pride in finishing a journey and completing an impossible task. If they had known what they were getting into, they never would have gone. But along the way they were given what was needed to make it to the end alive. Hmmm, sounds similar to life!

6. One Book You Wish Had Been Written: I'm still waiting for my best friend, Becky, to write her auto-biographical short stories. This girl has more stories that will make you laugh! I keep threatening her that I'm going to start writing it if she doesn't. This or my yet to be written coffee table book: "Dating Kissed Me Goodbye."

7. One Book that You Wish Had Never Been Written: "Kiss Dating Goodbye." I never read it and never want to. Don't we have a hard enough time as it is? For the love....

8. One Book That You're Currently Reading: I'm going to cheat here and give you two. One is actually a play by Lanford Wilson. I am performing a two person scene from his play "Serenading Louie" and just finished analyzing the play. It's a fascinating story of two couples whose relationships are crumbling. Each couple has everything going for them but they end up destroying their lives. Very interesting. The second is "The Glass House" by Jeannette Walls. She writes a story of growing up in great poverty. She never solicites pity from her readers. The humor she maintains while sharing her pain is admirable.

9. One Book You've Been Meaning to Read: The "Harry Potter" books. That or my best friend will never speak to me again. I made her read "Clan of the Cave Bear" so it's my turn to read some of her favorites. I'll read them...someday.

10. Now Tag 5 People: John S., cousin Stacey, Becky, Missie and cousin Jessie (my cousin, not the one from Full House). If you have a blog...blog about it. If you don't have a blog...leave it in the comments.

Anyone respond if you'd like! I'd love to read about it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oy Vey! How I HATE being asked my opinion - sigh.
1. Changed my Life: "Travelling Mercies" I read Anne Lamott during a time when I desperatly wanted to hear from God in unlikely places. Her narrative about her life was like a spring of fresh water in my second semester of the dry, theology texts of Dallas Seminary. When my prof said, "I probably shouldn't recommend reading that drops the F-Bomb but this lady knows Jesus..." I knew I had to get that book.
2. Read More Than Once: sadly, I read most of my favs about 27 times. I hate to piggyback on you, Katy, but "Pride & Prej" just keeps on being a good read. I think I've now read it at least 4 times.
3. Desert Island: If it can't be the bible, then I'm thinking "A Dummies Guide to Island Survival?" Seriously, I'd need the bible.
4. Made me Laugh: "God Save the Sweet Potato Queens" I've said it before, it's so crass but Jill Connor Browne makes me snarf.
5. Made me Cry: "A Severe Mercy." Hard choice because "Ragamuffin Gospel" was actually one of these...but in the end, with VanAuken's book I allowed the Lord to close one door for another and I allowed myself to mourn, for my life and for heaven.
6. I do need to write down my stories, though invariably they will all involve poop. Now that I'm married, I can write them without feeling I'm pounding the death knell into the coffin of my romantic life. I also think Katy and I need to write our screenplay for a mockumentary on Rush in the South.
7. Wish It Had Never Been Written: any book by Jay McGraw...because it's bad enough when your dad uses his tv show forum for counseling, Jerry Springer style, but to write a book on his coat tails...you're not a therapist! You have a law degree!
8. Currently Reading: "East of Eden" by Steinbeck...Hattie's suggestion. On Chapter one...book report in about a month.
9. Meaning to Read: Just finished "Life of Pi" so I can cross that off. I've actually been meaning to read the rest of the material required to pass my NCE...so why am I even online now?

sweetpea said...

fun to read, guys!

Kellsey said...

Katy and Beckles, I have to agree about Pride and Prejudice. I mean who doesn't want to be Elizabeth Bennett?! Also, while remembering how much I laughed with Pip and Merry, I had forgotten how much I cried with that series....How could I have forgotten? Oh, it hurt so good, too. Tolkien just gets under my skin!

Kellsey said...

Katy and Beckles, I have to agree about Pride and Prejudice. I mean who doesn't want to be Elizabeth Bennett?! Also, while remembering how much I laughed with Pip and Merry, I had forgotten how much I cried with that series....How could I have forgotten? Oh, it hurt so good, too. Tolkien just gets under my skin!

Anonymous said...

Yikes. This will be difficult. But a good distraction from work...thanks Katy!!
1. One book that changed my life...I will give two. Pride and Prejudice...my introduction to the classics...a.k.a. the beginning of a lifelong love affair. And The Sun Also Rises...my introduction to Hemingway...yet another love affair of mine. I'm sure there are others more profound, but my library is at home, and it is hard to remember the books when they aren't in front of me!
2.I, like Becky, re-read all good books. I never expect others to be as good as them. So I re-read A LOT. But, for me as well, Pride and Prejudice has probably been re-read the most. It is always a good read, no matter what. For those of you who have not read it, the fact that 4 people now are saying that Pride and Prejudice is one of their favorite books ever should tell you that you are REALLY missing out...so go to the library and check it out. Now!
3.A book for a desert island, hmm? Because I have used Pride and Prejudice too much here already, I will head another direction. How about Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins...or another of his books. Incredibly funny, and provides LOTS of food for thought.
4.Made me laugh? "SCUM Manifesto" by Valerie Solanas. As it is published in book form, I will count this "manifesto" as a book. If you decide to pick this up, be prepared for incredibly crude and surprising commentary. Valerie is of the oh so serious belief that we (women) can rid the world of men, and it will be a better place. Note: this is the woman who shot, in an attempt to kill, Andy Warhol. Bit of a 60's nutso, but this book is HILARIOUS due to her blatant and surprising theories, and the language she uses to describe them. Go into it with an open mind.
5.Again...just ONE? I will go with A Tale of Two Cities by good old Charles Dickens. The last pages of this book were sopping wet with tears...every time I've read it. Oh Sydney Carton..."it is a far, far better thing that i do, than i have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that i go to than i have ever known." tearing up just thinking about it. too good of a book to never read. an incredible story...
6.oh gosh, this is not a fair question. I'll go with this...a version of Anna Karenina that excluded the lengthy and multitudinous entries about agricultural techniques and political activities which have NO relevance to the story whatsoever. it would have greatly eased a 12th grade lit project for myself and a friend who still hasn't forgiven me for choosing anna karenina as our book. sorry kris.
7.i generally forget about books that were bad. so i can't really answer this one, though I know there are books out there that i could have done without. sorry.
8. i am currently reading Prague. it is about young "ex-pats" living in post communist budapest, and the idea that the real political, social, cultural revival is all taking place in prague instead of there. while i'm not clear on a direction, i am interested enough to keep reading.
9.ha! there are a LOT of books i've been meaning to read. the husband and i have an ENORMOUS library, filled mostly with books we want to read, but haven't gotten around to yet. I do think that On the Road has been sitting unopened on my shelves for quite some time, and may be the next book i tackle. we'll see.

thanks katy!

Anonymous said...

I am jealous that you are a Harry Potter virgin. You will read them very very fast and wish you could put your life on hold. At least that's how I felt about them.

Anonymous said...

Katy, you are amazing. I feel like such a loser to say some of my fav. books are romance novels. But I do agree with you about the Mark of the Lion Series and Lord of the Rings, both amazing stories.