Thursday, August 10, 2006

Triathalon Update

It looks like I'll be a lone soldier sweating it out on the course up in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. My former roommate and good friend, Melissa, has a broken wrist. She has to wear a cast past her elbow for 11 weeks. I'm sure she'll dazzle everyone as Matron of Honor at her sisters wedding in a few weeks. The poor thing showed up at my door last week sporting scraps, cuts and swollen joints. While running along the lakefront she was hit by a cyclist. She says it's her fault but she was probably just being nice. It's a dangerous world out there.

Thankfully one of my current roommates, Janell, is kind enough to attend the triathalon with me. As a former cheerleader, she'll be the best support anyone could ask for during a grueling race.

Only 10 days until the race and I'm not quite sure I'm prepared. I can swim (at least I did once this week), bike and run. But I'm not sure all three will fit together. That's what makes it a challenge! The thing that's challenging me the most at the moment is the wardrobe options! Do I just do the whole thing in my suit? Can I squeeze my running tights over my thighs while wet from the lake? Should I just swim in them? WHAT ARE MY NEEDS?! Well, I'm sure all those will be answered after the race. I'll just go with the flow and enjoy myself.

One thing I do need: Prayer! Please pray for me that I won't drown or crash or vomit. Thanks so much!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Katy,
Having done one triathlon, I am no expert. However, this is what I did about the wardrobe:
Swim in just the swimsuit, swim cap and goggles.
Have a small towel near your transition area to just quickly dry off your legs prior to slipping on the shorts (if you're having problems). That will only add a couple seconds on to your time. Plus, drying off your feet quickly will make getting your socks and shoes on easier, too.

Another big suggestion: DRINK LOTS OF WATER DURING THE BIKE RIDE. I did not do that and felt weak during the run.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!

Heidi