Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Colmar & Paris


BASTILLE DAY CELEBRATIONS
Where do I begin? I must say that France has taken much more of a warm place in my heart than I had intended. I've really loved it here. Colmar was a quaint little town and not much happening with weekends and major holidays. Trey and I took a mini little train tour of the city (which we had already walked around a billion times looking for a McDonalds). I really was a little bummed about the city until the Bastille (like our July 4th) celebrations started. We went to this concert in this park. They had an older Huey Lewis type in leather pants singing some American tunes in French. The crowd was packed tight and they just sang right along, so did I but in English. Then they had a "guest singer" during one of their songs. Well, he was HOT! That's what I nicknamed him "hot guy." As we watched the end of the concert, "hot guy" happened to be standing right in front of us. Be still my beating heart. Of course I tried to use telepathy and will power to make him turn around and then I remembered I wasn't an X-Men.
After the concert, they gave such a great fireworks show all to some great movie soundtrack songs: ET, Indiana Jones, Titanic, Jurassic Park (makes you want to cry...well at least me b/c I can cry at anything). I just kept thinking how thankful I was that I could be a part of it all. After the fireworks, "Hot guy" came on stage with his band. We later learned his name was Dr. Boost...interesting. Well, you wouldn't believe it but he began singing U2's Beautiful Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday....Hello! Can it get any better? I should think not. And love blossomed in her heart. Now we call him my boyfriend.
We arrived in Paris and low and behold, I open the door to my hostel room and 2 Kanakuk girls walk in. Crazy! One I worked with at K-Extreme (of course I couldn't remember her name...Leslie Garrison ring a bell?). We then went to the Eiffel tower with the rest of France after spending the day at the Pompadeaux (Modern art that few understand and even like) and Notre Dame. We followed the crowd and the Eiffel tower is GORGEOUS when it is lit up at night. We waited and waited and waited for the fireworks, but they were on

French time...aka. running late. We left so we wouldn't miss our curfew and watched them with hundreds of other people from a bridge. They were definitely more grand than Colmar, but Colmar had the fun intimacy (and "hot guy").
Today we went full steam ahead and hit the Eiffel tower, Arc de Triumphe, and the Musee d' Orsay (my favorite). I won't bore you with all I saw there, you'll just have to experience it for yourself. We leave for Barcelona on a night train tonight (yuk!). That was an experience getting tickets. Katy's business lesson for the day: if you can't get it done right the first time, go to someone else. After much prayer, a sweet lady found us two spots on the night train. I really have learned that prayer is huge, God is faithful, and I have no choice but to be at peace. He is in control, He knows our needs, and is faithful to provide.
Okay, a prayer request: my IT Band (that's on the leg) has been killing me and makes walking 8 hours a day very hard. I'm sure it has nothing to do with marathon running...hmmm. Also, Trey's arthritis in his back is bad too. Aren't we quite the super tourists? We are quite the sight limping up and down the Seine river. I am my father's daughter after all. I'd ice it dad, but we're in Europe...ice, what's that? So I pop the IB Profen candy. Well, that's the novel for the day. I hope you enjoy the read and it makes you smile. I love hearing from you guys. You are always so encouraging. Only 2 weeks left. It will fly by so quickly.

No comments: