Sunday, July 06, 2003

Nice



NICE
I have to be in one of the most beautiful places in the world. It's got that perfect mixture of mountains and beach. It looks a bit like Santa Monica California (so I hear). Whatever...it's gorgeous. My friend (more like Trey's friend), Brooke Blackwood, lives right off the beach in a great little flat. We have definitely been spoiled. Leaving Cinque Terra, we caught a train to Nice. I think all of Italy was on that train. Trey and I stood in one of the little exit areas along with 6 other people and our luggage. Quite interesting, but what can you do? After 1 1/2 hours, we finally found some seats after spying them out and making the kill once the people left. We thought we were in the lap of luxury until 45 minutes later the train stopped and every one got off...trey and I not quite sure what was happening. So, we followed the crowd and boarded a bus we hoped was heading to Nice (it could have been going to a concentration camp for all we knew...or cared).
We arrived salty, sweaty, and beggin' for a shower. We ate at our usual time of 10:30pm and polished it off with some gelato (I am going to have to go to Gelatoholics Anonymous when I get home). The next day we went to old town Nice where they had markets set up everyone, so festive and fun. Then we hit the gorgeous beach. The water is so crystal blue and completely refreshing (if not a little cold). The beach is made of tiny pebbles that give your foot a tiny massage as you walk (or more like acupuncture). Getting into the water would make even the most graceful person (me) look like a 1 year old just beginning to walk on their own. You have to slide down a little hill and plunge into the water before falling on your face. Then we just watched Trey kill one of the numerous jelly fish with rocks. He was entertained for a good hour. Good for him. We were laying out talking by the water when this sudden huge wave came and soaked all of us and our stuff. I guess the tide came in. I felt like I was living a "Deep Impact" moment when i saw what seemed like a 50 foot wave...slight exaggeration. Unfortunately my Oakleys (that have been with me for over 5 years) were swept away into the sea. Rest in Peace my friend.
That night we went to Wayne's Bar after eating a very sorry attempt at Mexican Food (never try to eat Mexican when you're in Europe). It's an English speaking bar packed with Aussies', Americans, Scots, etc. It was fun listening to the band, but I could have done without the girls dancing on the tables and spilling wine on my head numerous times. Now I remember why I don't like going to bars. Plus some guy decided to do cartwheels in the already to packed walkway. I also was hit on by some Scottish guy who I couldn't understand a word of. I just replied with a big fat "NO." He quickly got the point and walked off.
I've been enjoying some girl time with Brooke. We actually took the time to look at jewelry. Trey...not so interested. We will be here for another day or so and then head somewhere else interesting. We may just take out the map, close our eyes, and go wherever my finger lands. So exciting. I hope you enjoy living vicariously through my emails. Thanks for replying I love hearing how you all are doing. Don't know French so much and go around with a dumb look on my face. Those stupid Americans!

No comments: