Sunday, July 20, 2003

Valencia


LIVIN’ LA VIDA LOCA
Yesterday I was thinking that there´s really not much interesting to write to you guys. But, with Trey´s help, there´s a little juice to this email. Barcelona was hard to leave. I really could have stayed there longer, but alas, other countries were calling my name. We did have dinner with a friend of Brandom´s who is from Barcelona. Gemma was really sweet and it was fun to talk with a local. Thanks Brandom.
We next headed off to the resort town of Valencia on the east coast of Spain. It is pronounced Valenthia in Catalyn. It´s kind of funny listening to them talk because they all sound like they have lisps. They replace the c´s and some s´s with "th" sounds. For example, ¨"Thay, what´th been happening lately with you guyth? Are you cooking with Worthethire thauthe? The Thun ith Thining over Than Franthithco." Interesting. Valencia was nice and my favorite part was just walking around the place. We took a more scientific exploration of this city. They have a huge oceanography, science and history, and hemisphere museum. The best part was the architecture of the place...pretty cool. We saw a dolphin show at the oceanography center which is like a much smaller version of Sea World. It was a nice change of pace. We also went to the beach. The beach provides such fun people watching for avid people watcher´s like me. I saw two very "close" couples as I was getting out of the water. I looked closer and they were popping each others pimples on their backs. Hello! That´s gross. I´m really not into that although I know some of you are....no names mentioned. So romantic. Anyways, the beach was sandy and the water warm. That night we ate at a great Italian restaurant that looked more like a wine cellar lit with candels...kind of fun. Trey decided he wanted to go hear some music. We walked down a few streets that have some really amazing looking bars. They are all unique and have a great atmosphere. Trey heard latin music coming from one and thought that would be a good place to stop. Of course I observed that the window was covered and that the door didn´t let you see inside. I atomatically thought...gay club or strip joint. I kept my thoughts to myself. So he waved me in and all I see is 5 guys...hmmm, a little fishy. But the music is fun so we stay. We sit down as trey drinks his beer and over his shoulder I spot something different. A little of the paraphenalia on the door leads me to a very decisive conclusion. It´s a gay bar. As I begin to look around and see rainbow flags and then two guys dancing, my observations are confirmed. I had to laugh and I'm sure the guys in the place were laughing too. I think we were there all of 15 minutes. But hey, it was festive and the music was great. I mean, how am I supposed to meet a guy if Trey brings me to those kinds of places?!!!
Yes, some of you may be wondering how I have managed living with only 5 pieces of wardrobe. Well, I believe I´ve done very well. I must admit that trying to do laundry only once a week can be a little trying when you sweat a lot. Yesterday I wore the same jeans I had worn the 2 days before and a shirt that was once again recycled from the day before. But knowing the beach was on the agenda, I didn´t care. I didn´t have a beach towel so I laid my clothes on the sand and sat on those. Then we went to the train station to buy our tickets for the next day. I put my clothes on over my wet suit. I looked like I was lactating and had peed in my pants. But, I still walked with my head held high. Such a fashionista!
We just got to Madrid and it is wonderful. I think we are going to see a bull fight tonight and perhaps catch the Charlié´s angel movie tomorrow...such simple joys in life. I hope you all are doing great. I can´t believe I will be home in 10 days....sad but ready at the same time. Once again, God has been taking great care of us. What a huge blessing this trip has been. Still no thought about what I will do when I get home. If you have any ideas or opportunities, I´m listening.

No comments: