Thursday, November 09, 2006

Becky Does Chicago

Becky is on her way to Chicago! She'll be here in less than 4 hours! We're nearing the two year mark since she was last here. She's been a busy girl these past two years. She got engaged, married, graduated from seminary and passed her licensing exam to be a counselor. That's what I would call a productive and successful two years!

We first met at a McDonald's while we were both on our way to work for Kanakuk Kamps. That was WAY back in 1999. It's one of those friendships when you know immediately that that person will play a significant role in your life. These friendships don't happen very often. God knew I needed a friend like her. As Becky said to me the other day, "Katy, you need a counselor as your best friend because getting you to open up is next to impossible." And she's pretty much right. She has my trust and she knows how to ask the right questions. But she's also hilarious! Many post K-Life hours were spent in front of the mirror creating characters that only we would ever see. We'd laugh ourselves into tears. Those K-Life years were lean in terms of a social life. Dedicating your life to mentoring junior high and high schoolers can pretty much kill it. But it was worth it and I'm glad we got to walk through that time together.

We've walked through so much together as friends. She's a true blessing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Buns! For some reason I never saw this post. It made my whole day!

We first met at McDonald's while Katy was painting her fingernails and waiting on a very late Becky. When she turned to give me the classic "blank faced Katy look" I thought to myself, "I wonder if she's snobby. I bet she hates me for being late." Can you believe I would have ever thought that YOU were a snob? It took one ride in the 4 Runner with the "Girls" blasting and I knew right then you would become my best friend. Corny but true!

I love you! You were always WAY funnier in the mirror than me. Grammy and her cigarettes never quite caught on like Ramona. Oh well - I'll always be your enthralled audience!