Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Print Ad

I did something fun and unique last week. I was booked as a model for a print ad. Well, I wouldn't necessarily say "Tyra Banks" model, but I like using the word "model" none-the-less. This was my first print ad and a total learning experience. I will never look at billboards and posters the same; especially if it has me on it.

I was told to meet at North Avenue Beach last Thursday at 6:45 am. All I knew was that there would be two trailers and I was to bring some options for running clothes and then some casual saturday afternoon type clothes. I show up dragging my large bag into the trailer and met the other models (I can't help myself). The wardrobe people and clients had me pull out my stuff. They asked that I wear the black spandex pants (Lord have mercy!) with a turquoise fleece and yellow running vest. I had not a stitch of makeup on my face.

Next thing you know, we're running up and down the bike path by the lake. "Go. Okay, stop! Go back. Do it again. One more time. You step out of the shot. Now run with her like you're running buddies." Meanwhile, we're freezing because it was on the colder side off a fall morning. Then we ran on the beach while the sun rose over the water. It really was a spectacularly beautiful morning. I was the only "extra" there and they couldn't show my face in the pics. They weren't paying me enough! If you see the posters in O'Hare, you might possibly see my lovely arse in spandex running down the path.

One of the guys in the shots asked, "So do you do a lot of modeling?" I almost had to pick myself up off the ground. "Um, no. This is my first time. I usually focus more on the acting." Bless his little heart. I almost kissed him right then and there.

Next, I headed in the mobile home to a hot dog place in Lakeview. I was wind-whipped and thawing by the time we reached the stop. I was glad to have a friend with me who had also been booked for the shoot. It makes the whole thing much less intimidating. We met other people who were also going to be in the shoot. I changed into the selected jeans and cute top. I also had my hair and makeup done in the trailer. I love that part! I could have fallen asleep in the chair. It's one of the best things ever. I could get used to it.

I was starving and another girl and I had to sit at a table with our hands holding onto a hot dog. But not eating it. Pure torture. We did some casual conversing while the photographer took some pictures. Then they saw a cute kid who happened to come into the store with his mother. They signed him on the spot and used him in some pictures. I had to play his mom and it was basically my job to make him laugh. Success! They only saw my hand or hair in the picture. At one point I have my hand on the table and from behind the photographer puts some lotion on my hand and says, "You're a little ashey." Well, it was cold and I was at the lake and it was windy! I had no idea I'd be a hand model today! Otherwise I would have at least shaped them up a little. They were pretty bad. So if you see a hand with hang nails on a billboard, it's mine.

Now I can add actress/model to my resume. Me and Fabio - taking over the world, one print ad at a time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! But... is there any truth to the rumor that the little boy, upon being paid for his work, took the money, went to a tattoo shop, and got a Mermaid tattoo on his arm with the name "Katy" on it?

Anonymous said...

Haha, that's great! Sounds kind of fun...I had a similar experience filming a WWE commercial. I really had no idea what I would end up doing and I was just booked as an extra, specifically a "pedestrian," but I ended up in a print ad (right next to C.M. Punk actually) and in a commercial--but I don't think I'm visible at all in the commercial.

I'm jealous of your chair experience though--I haven't had one of those and I probably never will, lol.

~Lisa