Friday, November 21, 2008

What I'm Doing This Weekend

A couple of weeks ago I received an email from a film student at a college here in Chicago. She said she ran across my headshot and was interested in me playing the lead in one of her student films. She said the lead is lonely, sad, in a dead-end marriage, and that the part required "brief nudity done tastefully." How do I put this? "NO!" I actually said, "Thank you so much for contacting me but I don't feel comfortable with nudity. Good luck with your project." We all know I'm totally fine with nudity - but not on film or to be shown to people! Crisis avoided.

A week goes by and I get another email saying that she changed the script and nudity is no longer required. Well, I'm not doing anything else so I said okay. We'll be filming all weekend out in the suburbs. Auntie is kind enough to let me stay with her this weekend since she lives 15 minutes from where we're shooting. Thanks Auntie!

I decided to do it because there are two parts in the script that will make me go way outside of my comfort zone and I can experiment in a safe environment where the stakes aren't high and I can play with it. The first is a scene by myself in a bathroom where I basically go nuts and beat myself up. Did I mention that she wants this film to be in the vein of "Dancer in the Dark"? That's probably the saddest and most depressing movie I have ever seen. Tracy, remember my swollen face and unstoppable sobbing? It was brilliant, but so utterly tragic that I can never watch it again. Bjork should have one the Oscar by the way.

The second is a scene where I have to kiss the other lead. It's all my initiative and I end up getting massively rejected. Who enjoys that? Not me. So when I met the director I realized she was really young - fresh out of high school. Immediately I asked the age of the other lead. She said he was 26. WHEW! Saved by the bell on that one. I mean, what if he was her age and it would basically be kissing someone the same age as my little brother and his friends. Yikes!

Well, it turns out that he couldn't do it and so she had to get someone else. I show up to the set yesterday and meet the guy - who is very nice and easy to talk to. They met on their way to college. GULP! I don't even want to know his official age but I can almost guarantee that it has a "teen" on the end of it. Oh dear Lord! Seriously, am I breaking any laws here? I'm just not going to think about it. I am a professional! I can handle this professionally! I mean, old guys kiss 22 year olds all the time in movies. Think Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones. Yeah, okay. Cringer.

No comments: