Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Blaze of Glory

New Hampshire is gorgeous! My cravings for fall and all it's glory grew to an almost uncontrollable level. There's the smell and crunch of the leaves, clothes that make you want to snuggle, the smell of the fire place and crisp, cool mornings. I just described New Hampshire.

Our trip basically consisted of napping, eating, talking, reading, napping, laughing, talking, reading, eating, eating, napping, laughing, talking, and reading. Busy busy! I did find a little time to shower, kayak, and watch an antique boat race.

But my most proud moment had to be the fire I built! Saturday was really crisp and the lakehouse had no heat. The large fire place was our only source of heat except for the mounds of quilts we had piled on top of us. I reached back into the files of my days as a camper. Building a fire is a true test of survival capabilities. There were no Starter Logs to help this girl! Armed with some newspaper, a lighter and a pile of wood, I set to work to build one of the largest and most fantastic-blazing fires one has ever seen! Kristen and Kristin made smores from a hanger. It really was a beautiful thing. I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. It was my pet project. I patiently prodded the burning logs to make sure the flames would not die out. I carefully calculated the timing and position of the next log to be placed upon the fire. You would have thought I was a man.

I'll post pictures soon and you can see my pride and joy.

No comments: