Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday Morning

I think this is officially the longest I've gone without posting in years. And I haven't even been on vacation! I've been working and rehearsing. That basically sums up my life the past couple of weeks. Oh, and I've been running. The Indy Mini-Marathon is in five weeks. I was supposed to run an 8K today called The Shamrock Shuffle. It's a big Chicago tradition. It was thundering and snowing when I woke up this morning. So I just turned over and went back to sleep. It's too dangerous to run in the slush and snow when I have a race coming up. I'm not broken-hearted about it. I got the free t-shirt.

Last night I had a Playground show. Since everyone was supposed to be taking part in "Earth Hour" we decided to celebrate it with our show. In case you haven't been connected with the real world, it's when everyone is supposed to turn off their lights for an hour last night from 8:30 - 9:30. I, of course, accidentally left on a lamp in my apartment. I don't like coming home alone to a dark apartment. So, there went that idea.

What was I talking about? Oh yes, our show. We decided to have all the lights turned off to perform the show. This is normally called a "Bat" - when you can't see anything on stage and you have to listen. It's a fun form. We decided to all bring flashlights and create our own lighting. It was pretty cool. Some of our scenes suffered because of it, but some really came together. I don't know if the audience liked it, but we thought it was pretty interesting and created interesting atmospheres and situations. I'd totally do it again. This time we will at least have an idea of what we're doing instead of discussing it as we warm up in the theatre bathroom five minutes before our show. That's improv. And I love it.

Hope your day is much sunnier and warmer than ours here in Chicago. I did watch a movie with the rooommates. Happy-Go-Lucky. It was a cute/interesting movie. I was just happy to be relaxing and not running off somewhere.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I can't imagine being in the audience of a dark theater. But I'd give it a try if you were performing.
Love,
Mom