Friday, February 16, 2007

Amarillo by Mornin'

Last night I went to see George Strait with my friend Alyson. George = awesome. He is the definition of classy and he's a gentleman through and through. Wearing his 10 gallon hat, starched Wranglers and cowboy boots he made us ladies swoon. Did you know that he has 54 #1 hits? He sang about 30 of them last night. Alyson got the best seats. He stood directly in front of us and I could have thrown a penny and hit him. Not that I actually did throw a penny. I just wanted to give you a visual. Have you visualized?

George is "Pure Country" and an ideal Texan. He sang a bazillion songs about Texas and flashed pictures of the various Texas landscapes. It made me homesick. Good thing I'm flying home to Dallas tonight!

I've had a few conversations with people who despise country music. And by despise I mean they would rather go down a slide of razor blades and land in a pool of rubbing alcohol than listen to country music. That just makes me sad. It's more like it's a pride thing with them. Country is beneath them. I actually had someone tell me that they disagree with everything that country music stands for: the south, conservatives, Christian beliefs, the prevelence of Jesus just to name a few. It's an uninformed opinion. If they just don't like the twang, that's fine. But knocking the people, that's a whole other story. I know that country music can bring out a few interesting folks who do not represent the best in people. But why classify all fans as being judgmental and small minded? Country music also represents family, national pride and a way of life. And who doesn't enjoy songs about divorce, truck driving, drunkenness, mama killed papa, rodeos and sexy tractor driving men?

No comments: