Monday, February 12, 2007

The Rules

So I have a little quirk. I thought it was a cute little quirk that could be shared and enjoyed by those around me. I learned last night that it is neither cute nor enjoyed by those around me. I love to sing. I find it nearly physically impossible not to sing when I hear a song I know on the radio, on the television or just in my head. I must sing! Here are my favorites:
  • Any 80's tune
  • Top 40 hits from the 1990's
  • Anything U2 or Shania Twain (can't. help. it.)
  • Indigo Girls: don't you dare cut me off in the middle of an Indigo Girls song to tell me some lame story that I will quickly forget.
  • Musicals such as Phantom of the Opera and Grease

Speaking of Grease...my apartment has somewhat grown attached to the cultural phenomenon known as "Grease: You're the One that I Want." Grease is one of my all-time favorite movies. It was only recently that I finally grasped what some of the phrases and inuendos mean. Shocking. Grease was the perfect recipe for enjoyment for a young girl who loved to sing and dance. No matter how much we pretend we despise it we secretly love it when the wedding D.J. spins "Summer Lovin'" and we all dance and sing at the top of our lungs. Am I right? Don't deny it. I'll call you a liar. Liar. Told you.

So this brings me to last night's conversation between the roommates. I of course was singing along to "Jesus Christ Superstar" and Janell immediately turned up the television.

"What? You don't like it when I sing along with these songs?"

"No, you can sing along, just do it during the commercials."

"But it's not nearly as fun because there isn't music! So now there are rules for watching this show?"

"Not rules, just preferences."

"I'll be sure to try and respect your wishes. It will be tough and will take all I have to hold myself back."

"Thank you."

I couldn't help but briefly forget the rules and bust out during one of the male vocal performances. I covered my mouth quickly.

"Sorry, I forgot."

"Oh you can sing during the men's performances. You harmonize so I can hear them over you."

"Oh, so now there's new rules?"

I can't say anything because I established rules with Jessie when it comes to television and the guitar. She can't play the guitar during a show, only during the commercials. It's a miracle that we haven't driven each other to the brink of insanity.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

1. I remember when I realized they were saying "the chicks will cream" in Grease. I was shocked.

2. I find people who sing very endearing. I'm never brave enough to sing around people because I'm too scared of looking like an idiot.