Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Audition Blitz

Sunday began my whirlwind week of auditions. I have to say that I feel quite confident with my performances and encouraged by the whole process. That's the exact opposite of what I thought I would be feeling by the end of it.

Last night I braved the cold and snowy weather to go to two auditions. They were on opposite ends of the city but somehow, in Katy fashion, I made it really early to both and waited in my car trying to keep warm. The first was for some Chicago Comedy TV Pilot Competition. I was able to do some cold reading and it was fun! I haven't done comedy in a couple of months and I realized how much I miss it! They even had me read a couple of parts that would actually be voice overs. I was able to play with character voices which was a blast! The lead role, Maragaret, is described as "pinched, very thin, and librarian-like." Uh, probably not going to be me since I'd classify myself as "approachable, curvacious and dorky." But she did ask what my schedule was like in the next couple of weeks. We'll see!

The second audition was for Chekov's "The Seagull." When I walked into the room, the theater company founder cheerily said, "Oh! Your headshot is the one I really liked!" This baffles me because it really isn't anything great and I borderline cringe everytime I see it. But she proceeded to tell me that it's at a good angle, my smile is beautiful and my eyes are bright. Why thank you! I'll take those compliments any day. After my monologue she told me that I probably wouldn't be called back and then said slowly with almost a wink, "but that doesn't mean anything." Okay. Well that didn't mean anything to me either. I'm guessing that she might consider me for another play or something. That's the beauty of auditioning; there's always hope for the future! When I walked out of the room I overheard her say to the other woman, "Wow, she was charming!" She either said that or "wow, that was alarming." I'm going with the "charming."

2 comments:

Kate said...

How could it have been anything BUT charming??? =)

Anonymous said...

"Wow, I just remember I need to pick up some Charmin!"