Friday, August 31, 2007

Know-It-All

Jason and I dined together during lunch yesterday. We are definitely very different people but somehow we have so many things in common. For instance, we both are INFP's on the Myer Briggs personality test. Less than 1% of the world's population are INFP's. We would rather have one on one conversations than work a crowd. We both improvise. And finally, we both love learning and knowledge.

During our lunchtime conversation about Hip Hop music I asked him the question, "Do you feel the need to know everything there is to know?" He does and so do I. I know I was mostly asking myself this question. But why do I feel the need to know everything there is to know? I often feel pressure to be educated and well-versed on a multitude of topics. Is it the desire to be right all the time? Well yes, there's some truth in that statement. I'll admit it. But more than that I think it's my desire to be able to connect with everyone. If someone starts talking to me about Roth IRA's I want to know something about them so I can find a common denominator between us. Or maybe it's "Do you know how to play tennis?" "Why yes I do! Let's bond over it."

I am currently reading A.J. Jacob's book The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World. The author committed to reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica in one year. That's 100 pages a day = 4 hours of reading a day. It's humerous, self-depricating and has even taught me a thing or two. Want to know why the Lacoste brand of clothing has a crocodile as it's mascot? Because the tennis player, Rene Lacoste, who started the brand of clothing was known as "The Crocodile." He once won an entire set of crocodile luggage. And there you have it. I'm so smart! Can't you just feel us connecting? If Rene were alive I could connect with him by saying, "Rene! I too love fashion and clothing. I also have a killer backhand."

Maybe I am meant to be in school for the rest of my life. Or maybe that's why I love being an actress. I can play a doctor, social worker, cop, mother, student, ninja and politician all in one year. Just think! I'll know a little of everything. Just enought to make me dangerous.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this blog entry is about me!

Lizard said...

Hilarious. I am also an INFP. Really, isn't better that there are less than 1% of us?? Things do really need to get done so that the world can function. : )

Katy said...

Yes Jason, it's about you! You made it onto the blog!

And Lizard, it's always nice to meet a fellow INFP. We're good people :-)