Monday, April 14, 2008

Sunny Delight

Jeff and Alyse's wedding in Austin was more fun than I could have ever imagined. (more pictures to be posted later) It was a perfect night for an outdoor wedding and an outdoor reception. I made it my goal to spend as much time outdoors as possible. If I was in a car, the sunroof was open. If I was eating at Chick-fil-a, I was eating outdoors. If I took a shower, I took it indoors, but made sure I looked out the window at the blue sky. I was obsessed.

After an early morning family shower for Alyse, Jessie and I headed to the pool at my parent's hotel. We still had on our dresses but hoped to catch a few passing rays while we had the time. Twenty minutes later I felt like I had absorbed a little sun and decided to go inside so I wouldn't get burned. There was no color yet, so I thought I was playing it safe. Five minutes later I looked in the elevator mirror to see if there was any color. Nothing. Ten minutes later I look in the bathroom mirror. FIRE ENGINE RED! Seriously, my chest was blazing. I should have known better and worn sunscreen on my pastey winter skin.

I looked dashing in my black and white dress accessorized with a red chest. Seriously, it was just the chest. Not the arms, neck or face. I tried to cover it up with my long locks, but the redness kept peeking through.

Riddle me this: why do strangers find it perfectly okay to point out to you that you're scorching red? I go to the bar to get a glass of wine. "Hi there, I'd like a glass of pinot noir please." "(GASP) YOU'RE SOOOOO BURNED!" "Yes, I am, thank you for letting me know. I never would have noticed or FELT MY SKIN STINGING LIKE CRAZY!" Really, I couldn't go five feet without a comment. Two days later and the skin is still blazing. So here I go again...

Lesson learned: Wear sunscreen at all times...and turtlenecks.

No comments: