Tuesday, May 06, 2008

KISSSSSSS

What is the best way to begin a new acting class filled with strangers? Kiss one of them! Well, actually he kissed me. Indeed it's going to be a wonderful class!

I finally began the Advanced Scene Study class I've been wanting to take for a while. It's going to be intense. Not only is it four hours long on Mondays, but I also am required to meet with my scene partner twice a week outside of class. It's going to kick my butt and it's going to be awesome!

My first scene is from John Patrick Shanley's Kissing Christine. It is funny and the lives of the characters are intriguing. Right away we did a cold reading in front of the class. Of course he called our scene to go first. There was a slight verbal "ugh!" that escaped my mouth. I was nervous! I don't know any of these people and automatically I was trying to remind myself, "You are good! They let you into this class for a reason!" It wasn't too bad and it was even - GASP - fun!

The partner of one of the guys in our class couldn't make it so our teacher asked me to do the cold reading from their play. I just glanced through it quickly, noted the inappropriate things I'd be saying, and took a moment to realize I'd be kissing a stranger. No problem, I'm a professional. A quick handshake and exchange of names before the scene began and then we were off! Blah blah blah blah blah, "come here baby," smack smack, hug hug, "you smell good"...and scene! Thank you ladies and gentlemen, thank you.

It's all in a days work people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me get this straight. To make the scene, you meet a stranger, say and use a few lines, it may end with a lot of kissing.

You call it "acting class" but I think I called it "college". Same thing? ;-)

But I don't do those kind of things now and don't advise kids to try it at home. I was a professional. Wait, that doesn't sound right.

Never mind! Just glad you have class. ha!

P2

Anonymous said...

My one comment: You're made for this!
My one question: Was the kisser a cute guy?
Love,
Mom