Tuesday, December 04, 2007

On Camera Class

Last night was my first On Camera class at The Acting Studio. It was a small class of six people and our teacher was fun, knowledgeable and a little wacky (he said so himself). He began by telling us some rules of the business: be on time, always call your agent back ASAP (I'm going to get me one of those), get colored headshots (check!) and don't take yourself too seriously (Oh, okay). As any good student would do, I took furious notes, nodded my head and smiled at the teacher. All was going well until about one hour into the class.

He had each one of us stand in front of the video camera, one at a time, and interviewed us for a few minutes. We had to stare into the camera while he talked to us from afar. Not only is it awkward to talk to a camera and not a person, but the entire class was staring at your face in television. My horror ended as soon as it began. I immediately felt comfortable when I began talking. I sat down. No harm done. Easy as pie. I allowed a second for my armpits and upperlip to dry off. Next thing I know our teacher rewinds the video and has us WATCH OURSELVES! That's like taking a steak knife and stabbing me in the eye and then pouring alcohol in it. Not only do we have to WATCH OURSELVES! but everyone has a piece of paper where they judge you and write down things about you and scrutinize every little bit of who you are as a person and characters you might represent. Here are some of the questions:

1. Name that would suit this person?
2. Age?
3. Gay/Straight?
4. Married/Single/Divorced
5. What magazines do they read?
6. What is their occupation?
7. How much do they make?
8. Education?
9. What roles would suit this person? (girl next door, jock, etc.)
10. What actors are they similar to?
11. Give a line of dialogue that this person's character might say.

For a perfectionist, being judged is just about the worst thing that can happen.

I lived folks. I am here yet another day.

Some celebs I resemble according to my classmates: Kristin Davis (Charlotte from Sex and the City),




























Don't I look exactly like her?





















Sandra Bullock (my teacher asked the person who made this suggestion, "where?" Thanks teach.) and Juliette Lewis (I'm not a punk rocker but I still think she's a great actress).


























































She's incredibly versatile and I need to tap into that side of me. I should also start wearing canary yellow unitards.


One person wrote for a line of dialogue for me: "I hope I get this right." Have they been talking to my therapist?

1 comment:

Jeff and Alyse Paull said...

katy...you're brave. i would never be able to do what you do. i had to speak in front of like a hundred people or so unexpectedly when i was in egypt (they told me i had to do this like 15 minutes before the event started). needless to say...i couldn't stop pooping and puking when i got there.

maybe i shouldn't say that online where it's visable.

my point: you're awesome!