Monday, March 06, 2006

Embittered Wife

Last week we had an amazing Level 5 show at Second City. There's something about being first in the line-up that brings about inspiring energy. It definitely showed. This week we are adding a few new scenes to our running order. My favorite is about the double luge. I always thought that this was a weird Olympic sport and it might be fun to do a scene centered around it. This one is a blackout that is mostly physical. We don't have much of that in our show and it might be a nice change of pace. I hope it translates well on stage. It was funny to us in our class room. You just never know in front of an audience. It's painful when you watch a bad scene. But it's even more painful when you're performing in one. No matter what, you have to try to sell it 100%. If you're sold, the audience will most likely be sold. Crossing my fingers never hurt either.

As I look at the running order I realize that in a couple of scenes I basically play the same character: the embittered wife. In one scene I sing (scary enough in itself), the other I play Madame Curie. It's more of a period piece. It makes it sound noble when I use "period piece." I hope this isn't type casting. Maybe I play the character so well because it's so opposite of my own personality and character. Yeah, yes, of course! That must be it.

No comments: