Sunday, July 15, 2007

Millennium Park: Chicago Symphony Orchestra














































Friday could not have been a more gorgeous day or night. Look at the pictures. I have on a light jacket! In mid-July!

Marissa and I headed to Millennium Park to meet up with some friends and enjoy the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. It sounds so cultured and sophisticated. Truth be told, I was more interested in the wheel of Brie that Marissa brought with her than I was in the beautiful music (I think it was beautiful. I wasn't listening). I consumed and ungodly amount of cheese that night.

We had our blankets out with our coolers and glasses of wine. I looked around and noticed that other people were pros at this. They had miniature tables topped with real glasses, china and candles. I thought I was above standards by even remembering to bring napkins and a wine opener.

You know what I love? The feel of cold, soft grass on bare feet. I was jealous of the little kids running around and chasing each other after the concert. I would have done the same thing but I was suffering from a cheese coma.

The next morning I was regretting friday night's binge fest because I had to throw on a bikini and head to the beach. We played beach volleyball for most of the morning. That was my first time to play beach volleyball since I moved to Chicago almost four years ago. I love volleyball, I love the beach, but I hate the sand that comes with it. It finds it's way into places I never knew existed. Sunscreen, sweat and a dive into the sand to make a game-saving dig makes for great skin exfoliation.

I finished off the weekend with a bbq at a friend of a friend's house. Then I ran eight miles with Jessie Sunday morning. YES! I still have it! And finally I went with Gina to a neighborhood festival. GREAT people watching. Picture this: A man in all too tight khaki shorts walking around with no t-shirt and his skin a canvas for the most random tattoos. Walking up to random women he would take his Mountain Dew can, place it between his pecs, and then let go. Chicago is a mecca for great talents.

I love this city.

2 comments:

Beck said...

I'm starting to feel like a lazy, uncultured, boring, fat loser by reading your blog. So many festivals, outdoors concerts, sporting events, exercise and great restaurants...I can't keep up with you Katy. How come all we ever did when I lived with you was go to a late night movie on Wed. nights and grab ice cream from 7 Eleven down the street? A fun weekend night for us usually included trying to crash your parents' plans.

Katy said...

It's like in Sixteen Candles where the little kid doesn't want to go to the school dance in the gym because he tells his parents, "I want to hang out with you guys!"

Remember dad shoving a wad of money in my hand begging us to go do something?

It's because our lives revolved around teenagers. We were too tired to do anything. And we couldn't drink. Ben & Jerry's was my one vice.

And let's not forget the year of surgeries for me. Ah, Moolennium crunch!