Friday, November 09, 2007

End Zone

I know that I cry easily. You know it. I know it. Anyone who has ever been to a movie with me knows it. But last Friday night when I went to my little brother's high school football game I was overwhelmed to the point of tears. Mom and I were walking up the stands to watch the end of warm-ups and as we turned to look at the field we saw all the players and their dads kneeling in the end zone praying together. Dads had their arms around their sons. Sons whose dads couldn't make it prayed with their friends and their dads. I don't see that every day and it brings me such joy to see it.

Tonight my parents are in Atlanta for a funeral of a dear friend and can't make Andrew's last game. My older brother and his family are out of town. My sister just had a baby so she's out. So my fabulous brother-in-law, Chris, just emailed me that he's going to Andrew's game and gets to pray with him on the field beforehand. Again, it makes me want to cry. I don't know. Maybe it's that dads, sons, and families are joining together and acknowledging the most important thing in life. When you think of teenagers, you typically think about the riff between them and their parents. You don't often picture dads with their arms around their sons, kneeling and praying. It doesn't happen that often in life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to sound too much like "Captain Awesome" from "Chuck", but your family sure seems awesome. It is good to know there are great families in the world.

I too come from a great family and there is nothing you can substitute for them.

I remain grateful every day for the influence of my Dad and Mom.

p. s. i am a big fan of your blog. thanks for all the laughs too.

The Mitchells said...

Thanks Katie, now I'm crying. I can't wait till Joe gets to do this with Joe...it's a special thing that Andrew's school is so focused to have them pray before the game.

Kellsey said...

that's so great, kates. Thanks for sharing--makes my eyes gleam.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing about this Katy. Chris was so honored and happy to be apart of that prayer. Even Connor went on to the field with them. Andrew told me that he was so excited to see that Connor was with Chris on the field. We have the bestest little brother! Oh, mom and drew took connor to the mall and Andrew and connor came back with matching tennis shoes...how cute is that?