Friday, January 18, 2008

Go Cubs Go!

I just spent five hours people watching while working a booth at the Cubs Convention. This is the Olympics of people watching. It is also the place where all weirdness from across the world comes together and embraces one another. To be diplomatic, there are some really nice and normal people there too. Let's shed a tear for dad's and sons bonding together in the name of the Cubs.

Convention = FREE CRAP! (and mullets) Experienced conventioners waddle through the crowds weighed down by plastic bags filled to the top with flyers, pens, shirts, koozies, power bars, etc. It's no wonder that they walk by our not-for-profit booth looking for free things. Ummm...it's not-for-profit. Nothing's free. We're in the business of curing diseases people.

Some people feel the need to stop and look at what you're selling or information on research because their guilt is just a little too much. Then they mumble something with a weak smile as they walk away like, "that's great what you're doing there. I'll come back later." How do I know they do this? I SAW it! And I happen to have done it myself a few times. GUILTY.

All high and mighty and with a twinge of the "you shoulds," I asked one woman if she had ever participated in our Walk before. She responded, "Well, I had thought about it but then I had just finished chemo...." Oh...nevermind.

And then the revelation of the night came as I watched a dozen men dressed in pin-covered bucket-hats with fuzzy "cub" ears sewn on to the sides. The Cubs are to grown men as the Care-Bears are to little girls. CARE-BEAR STARE!

No comments: