Friday, January 04, 2008

Vote Early, Vote Often

The word "caucus" makes me think of loci (plural for locus) and cicadas. I know it's where people in Iowa enter a room and stand next to a piece of paper vowing their allegiance to a presidential candidate; then they try and convince the people across the room, who don't have as many on their side, to see the light and join them. Doesn't that sound a bit like childish playground games?

And it has begun ladies and gentlemen - the next 11 months will be filled with extremism, bickering, finger-pointing and assumptions. I'm already overwhelmed with anxious feelings. Conservatives hate Liberals and Liberals hate Conservatives. People who have read a headline from a newspaper suddenly become experts on the subject and begin touting to anyone who will listen that this is the best way and whatever you think is stupid and sucks. Like-minded groups of people get together and have passionate discussions crescendoing with congratulations to themselves for being right and all-knowing. It happens on both sides. I see it. (I'm a Texan who lives in Chicago) Remember this: no matter how passionate and "right" you are about a political party, an issue or a viewpoint, someone is just as passionate and "right" about those topics on the other side. You're probably saying, "I know that Katy, but HOW CAN THEY BELIEVE AND SUPPORT THAT?" Give each other a break! Politics brings out such ugly self-righteousness in people. But don't be afraid to take a stand on something that is really important to you. Let me warn you though, some will hail you and others will loathe you.

I wish I had a solution to make people give each other respect. Assumptions about people who think differently than you are dangerous. Assume = makes and ASS out of U and ME.

Quit with the hateration already. My peacemaker obsession is going to give me an ulcer by the end of the presidential race. This whole post makes me sound self-righteous. I just don't like the fighting. I already want to buy stock in alka-seltzer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How could you possibly believe what you wrote in this post?! You're obviously an ignorant fool!!!

Anonymous said...

Kidding. That was me, Jason.

Anonymous said...

Well Katy, if you are going to be reasonable, use logic and try to understand a point of view different then your own, obviously, you know nothing about politics. ;-)

Sadly, for most of us, your approach isn't used by the major parties in our country.