Tuesday, March 04, 2008

On Set

Yesterday I took off work so I could film a scene for a Columbia College Student film. It was a scene from Sam Shepherd's Cowboy Mouth play. Yes, the same Sam Shepherd that played Chuck Yeager in The Right Stuff. Did you know he was also a playwrite that usually produces dark and intense work?

Let's just say that I would MUCH rather spend the day on a set than one in front of a computer. Can I get an AMEN? It was all very professional. There was a sound guy, a Director of Photography, set people, a director and of course, us tiny little actors. And let me not forget to mention that there was catering. It was basically like a Thanksgiving meal minus the football game and nap time.

We arrived around 10:00 am. I began helping set up the newspaper clippings on the wall. The set is a motel room where we have been living for three months.
We began shooting from the beginning of the scene. We did it several times from different camera angles. We had to alternate shooting, rehearsing and being quiet so that the film crew next door could shoot their film. I began with strumming the guitar, to moving to the bed, to standing against the wall, to sitting on the floor and then finally sitting in Michael's lap (my scene partner). It was all very intense. They put out a dolly on rails where they were able to move the camera back and forth. I had to wear heavy eye makeup so I would look like someone pretending to be someone she's not. That was a fun train ride home. I'm sure people were thinking "oh, she'd be such a pretty girl if she didn't wear all that eye makeup." That's totally soemthing my mom would say. Yes mom, I've heard you say it.
All in all I can't wait to see the finished product. I hear it's in HD and in black and white. We should see it in a month or so. I can't wait to do more!

2 comments:

Beck said...

So glad you finally posted about this - I've been waiting to hear details. I think you hit on something - a little more fun than your cube? We will have lots to talk about in 8 days.

Anonymous said...

That's so fun, Katyo! I can't wait to see it! Any more auditions coming up?