Thursday, December 08, 2005

Singing Cab Driver


I absolutely love this city. I do! It must have something to do with the fact that every moment presents a potential adventure or curious meeting of interesting people.

Last night as Uncle Joe and I were leaving dinner there was near blizzard-like snow. As we stood on the corner in our puffy jackets looking like lost little kids, we searched for a cab amongst the crowded streets. Most taxis were already occupied and there was little hope. As if it was our destiny, a taxi pulled up behind a bus to let out a passenger and Joe and I quickly hopped in the empty cab. Our cab driver was very friendly and talkative. I noticed how he chose to wear a suit as he worked. Obviously he took pride in his work. Our driver navigated us through the slippery streets and drove us a mile in 20 minutes. We dropped off Joe at his hotel and then the taxi driver and I were off on the second leg of our adventure.

On our way to Adobo (for the most delicious Margaritas anyone has ever tasted!), he reveals to me that he is Ray St. Ray: the Singing Cab Driver. Oh yes, he really does exist! He gave me a card and everything. He offered to sing me a song and since we weren't getting anywhere fast I was happy to oblige him. He said, "What kind? I have songs about: life, love, sex, social significance, dreams and other." I optioned for love. He then said, "sappy, sad, love for the intellectual, cautious, lustful..." When I had chosen love for the cautious he immediately began the show. The show had lighting and everything! I was extremely impressed. Besides being a little quirky, he had a funny song and wonderful presentation. I would be happy to ride with him again. Unfortunately you can't just call up and request Ray St. Ray. He says that it "is a cosmically selective process who gets the Singing Cab Driver. When your kharma is due, [i'll] arrive to make your day, shamelessly promote [my] career agenda and deliver you to your destination in one piece, right side up!" After 14 years, 8 months and 8 days of driving, he sure has built up a repetoire of songs: 81 to be exact! All written by him, all unique and all sure to make you smile!

I hope that someday you too will have the joy of riding with Ray St. Ray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh ... the fun quirks of city life! Next time Becky and I visit we must try to find him ... who knows about our kharma ... but maybe the Lord will bless us with such a fun memory :)

Anonymous said...

Is Ray St. Ray sorta like Corky St. Clair? Just wondering.