Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Get Me Out of Neverland

Last night was the final cut for my film scene in my On Camera class. You know, THE scene.

Well, it started out incredibly rocky because my teacher changed the way we were standing, changed the lighting, changed the camera angle, etc. And I didn't wear heels which means you couldn't really see me over Fernando's shoulder. He finally got us in position and told Fernando that he couldn't move at all. He also told me that I couldn't move my head to the left or right and that I could only move it about three inches forward or I would be in shadow. How that heck is someone supposed to get all seductive and sexy when you can't move? As Doug said, "it's very difficult. That's why we as film actors get paid the big bucks." I want the big bucks!

Moving on...I was told not to look at Fernando because then they couldn't see my eyes. I had to look at the wall just past his ear, etc. IT WAS SOOOOO HARD! Doug kept asking, "Where's the sex? What happened to what we talked about last week?"I said, "I am trying to be all sexy with his ear. That's what happened!" I had one inch of work space. Crazy difficult. I was frustrated and kept flubbing one line. We got a meager take. Then he pulled Fernando five feet away to stand by the camera. I had to stay where I was and do the scene while being far away. Doug said, "Remember Katy, SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX SEX." Got it. So I did it and Doug goes, "Cut. Okay, that's it." That's it? I was shocked. Ooookay, so not even another take?

Then we had to watch it. SHEER TERROR! I was mortified and could hardly stand it. I wanted to go hide in a corner while holding onto my childhood pink Puffalump (yes I still have it). So after the final cut, Doug looks at me and says, "I don't even know what to say." *cue the birds chirping* I said, "I don't like it." "YOU DON'T! That was amazing!" WHAT? Seriously? I just said, wow, okay, I trust you guys. Then he made me watch it frame by frame to watch my face, my head movements, etc. He said, "you can't teach people that." I honestly didn't feel totally connected so I thought it could have been better. I'll take his word for it.

The second to last scene wasn't that bad, at least from the mid-point on. At one point in the first half I look like I'm about to choke him. Hilarious. But I did connect and it was strong. I guess I realized that I needed to know what the physical connection was like so that I could really connect with him even though I was five feet away in the last shot.

I learned so much: 1) It's hard y'all and 2) I have really fat-patty hands. Hand modeling is out. DANGIT!

4 comments:

Jeff and Alyse Paull said...

katy, i have my puffalump too! he's a purple hippo - i actually just moved and he's been in storage for several months...now he's in bed with me :) i don't know what jeff will say about this in a couple months :)

Beck said...

HA! I love that Doug liked it! Man, I cannot imagine trying to do a scene like that...on film...with one inch of space...looking at a far off ear...being all sexy.

BUT, you pulled it off, of course.
Congrats, you.

ps: Alyse, my husband puts up with my blankie I've had since birth being in the bed.
pss: Buns, love the "fat-patty" hands shout out. Momma Kay will be proud.

Katy said...

Oh Beckles, it sure wasn't sexy. It was pure desperation! :-)

I still have "Pinky." Pinky is a pink rabbit. She doesn't sleep with me like she used to. I loved her too much and now her head is squished and she doesn't have the puff she once did. My mom sewed up a couple of wears and tears a few years ago. I kid you not.

Anonymous said...

Katy, I am so proud of you. I would never have the guts to do anything like that at all. You are truly amazing!